Reserved Domain Name question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 16th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Reserved Domain Name question

I reserved a domain name a while ago, but the domain name is still registered with me (as it should be.) However, when I type in my reserved domain name, I get a search website that says, "GlennGipson.com" coming soon. Also, when I do a "who is" look up on my reserved domain name, I'm no longer seeing my information. Is this legal for them to do? Do I have anything to worry about? Has my reserved domain name been stolen?
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #2
Trustee

This all depends. There's 'registered' and then there's 'reserved.'

Registered is something you do whether though netsol.com or godaddy.com or register.com or one of many other providors where you usually pay anything from $5 to $35 to own a domain for a year. Reserved is something some wacky companies offer for a reduced price where they register it under their name and give you a year to decide if you want to maybe host with them or something.

Now sometimes, 'reserved' does mean 'registered' - it depends on the company. I did a whois lookup on your domain through netsol.com and it says PARAVA NETWORKS is the registrar you used (either directly or through some middleman company). It doesn't provide any information on who owns the domain, so it's possible this information is being blocked.

Essentially what you need to do is go back to the company where you reserved the domain and say that you need more information, and ask if there is an online account manager that allows you to change the settings.

I also recommend you transfer that domain to a company such as GoDaddy.com - it's cheap and reliable and their online account manager is very nice. But you won't be able to transfer this domain until you can get into some sort of account manager and unlock it - it's currently set to locked, so no transfer attempts will currently go through.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

Glenn, buy it as soon as you are able. It's a cheap price to pay for your identity.
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, this is something I need to handle A.S.A.P.
Old February 18th, 2005, 03:57 AM   #5
Major Player

FYI, it turns out that site is actually the site that I reserved my domain name through. There is no problem. (The website thing is totally alien to me.)
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Maybe, maybe not. There are unethical companies out there that put domains in their own name to lock you in. Mandatory hosting, inability to change registrars, theft of traffic, and mandatory popups once you have a site are among the things you should check on. Generally these are offshore or chinese companies that cause the problems. It could be totally legit too, so don't freak out. Just be aware of it. The easiest way to check is to ask them about transfering registration to another registrar.
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #7
Major Player

Is this Domain registrar review site any good?

http://100best-domain-names.com/index.php
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media