DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Red Dragon (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/4115-red-dragon.html)

AaronClifford October 4th, 2002 12:57 PM

Red Dragon

a little disappointed: i was hoping for a bit more insight into who Hannibbal is supposed to be and where he is coming from. I wasn't as disappointed as i was with the movie named 'hannibal,' but it seemed to me like this is just following the lead of 'silence of the lambs' as if it were a series about detectives who must consult dr. lechter.

the movie seemed to have been composed well, but the writing was a little watered down. it lacked something intangible that the first one possessed. I just couldn't get into the roles of the characters. it might have been the overall dramatic effects of the lighting (which, by the way, i learned a lot about just by watching this movie.) that gave the 'silence' such a darker feel.

besides that, it wasn't a bad watch. not at all. kinda made me hungry...

Adam Lawrence October 4th, 2002 01:18 PM

yeah..ive yet to see it but, i kinda figured the trickled down
trilogy of silence of the lambs would never live up to be.

I think that "red dragon" and "hannibal's" hype is only built from
the amazing imapact that silence of the lambs had. They portray themselves
as "shocking" and "horrifiing" , as opposed to silence of the lambs. When
it was trailered it seemed as if it was portrayed by more of a "detecitive/crime
drama" rather than a friday night thriller. Thats what intrigued me about the movie, no special opening credits, no freakish "techno/trip hop" tracks,
no over impossed blood and guts (just for the sake of having blood and guts). It just seems authentic and "un-cannibalized".

Jim Sauza October 4th, 2002 05:48 PM

I Went to see it this afternoon and enjoyed it, and funny (strange) I also came out hungry :) Jim

Jeff Donald October 4th, 2002 06:56 PM

Looking for liver with some farver beans and a nice bottle of Chianti?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Jeff

Eric Emerick October 4th, 2002 10:06 PM

I really like the 1980 Michael Mann version of this movie, Manhunter. It has a Miami Vice (Mann's TV coup) attitude, and the flow is invigorating. The Hannibal character, while no less important, is played in a more subdued, almost casual fashion. But he is still very spooky. Unfortunately, the 4 or 5 times I've rented it for friends to show them the first Lechter film, the video quality has been really bad.

B. Moore October 5th, 2002 12:16 PM

Hello,
It is my understanding that this is really the beginning of the story, "Silence..."
is actually the sequel.
Anne Rice, "Interview with a Vampir" has a whole series of books, in which "interview..." is almost the middle of that series. Perhaps that 's what happened with that series.

Bruce