Family Flicks Outperform R-Rated Titles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 15th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Trustee

Family Flicks Outperform R-Rated Titles

I think it's cool, but we all know that it's a trend. Everything swings in this world.

So, now is a good time to dust off that kid oriented screenplay! I wish that I had one, but all my stuff is definately R-rated.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...llywood_s_year
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #2
Major Player

G, PG-13 films have out perform R films at the box office for years.
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Christopher- You really wanna work on a kid flick? I have a good story, about half done, before I ran out of gas...
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #4
Trustee

Lol, I've actually got one that I forgot about...been working on it for years now. It's actually gotten rave reviews from my friends and family.

The Real Santa

It's a Christmas story about a little boy, Cris, in a small town that gets picked on in school. He befriends an old man man living in the woods who's been discarded by the town and society. The boy begins to learn the art of woodworking and also how to deal with the local bullies. While on this journey through self-discovery the boy ultimately learns of a special secret. The old man isn't really who the boy thinks he is...or is he?
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Major Player

"G, PG-13 films have out perform R films at the box office for years"

Yeah, is this really news?
I always assumed that 'family films' were outperforming R films. Seems like on the average people would go see an R film with a friend or a spouse, while 'Family Films' means that people are taking 2 or 3 kids with them at a time.

Just seems like it would be easier to pack a theater for a kids film than an R rated movie.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Trustee

Definitely no surprise. How else can you explain a film like The Pacifier having a $30million weekend? Didn't they already make Kindergarten Cop? And also the one with Hulk Hogan. Big tough guy, fish out of water, learns to be soft. Wahoo!
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Interesting statistic, epecially when you consider the highest grossing R rated film of all time.

The Passion.

Wonder if they consider that a 'family' film.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Imdb has a list of the top grossing movies of all time, I thought those in this discussion might be interested:

http://us.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

Just glancing over it, it seems clear that R rated movies are in the minority on that list.

On the USA box office list, 'The Passion' is at #9.
If you look at the worldwide box office list, you don't see a rated R film until "Matrix Reloaded' at #18
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #9
Major Player

What happens to the stats if you remove the bigbox animated films and Harry Potter (which was a unique phenomenon of book before movie)? The real truth is that if they made an animated R/X movie, it would top the list !! Flesh Gordon, where are you?? LOL
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #10
Inner Circle

JOhn, your age is showing! I recall Flesh Gordon... what a hoot!
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #11
Inner Circle

The movie that put Candy Samples on the map. And silicon free.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Don't forget just about every R-rated script heading into hollywood is being shot and reworked to be PG-13. As is you can basically throw in a couple f-bombs, a bunch of "shit"s or "asshole"s, have a tons of people shot or die horribly and still make the PG13 rating. Show a boob a though and it's on. R-rating only. It's stupid. Hollywood makes everything PG-13 because that's the demographic with the most money. Just go to your local multiplex on a friday night and see how many of the moviegoers are getting dropped off by thier parents. Not that thats bad, kids should have good movies to see, but it is sometimes at the cost of a good screenplay being made more palatable or allowing more violence into a film than the rating would imply. It's all money.

Oh, yeah, Flesh Gordon rules!
Ian Poirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:52 PM   #13
Regular Crew

It's all about money. They can make more money on a flick with a PG-13 than an R (Historically true).

As an indie releasing everything under a freebie Creative Commons licence, I can comfortably say I can make my movies MY way the first time.
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:11 PM   #14
Capt. Quirk

And don't forget the marketing scheme for residual sales, where even more money is made. Look at all the Harry Potter toys, Spidey action figures, video games, posters, underwear... What adult would buy that kind of stuff? The Hulk was PG or so, and sucked in the Box Office. It cleaned up afterwards in the toy aisles.
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:05 PM   #15
Major Player

The toys, that's what made good ole George rich, not the movies.

He kept the rights to the toys, games, etc. Some say why do you think Jar Jar was in their, for the kids.
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media