DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Dealing with morons whilst shooting in public (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/41392-dealing-morons-whilst-shooting-public.html)

Cleveland Brown March 18th, 2005 04:48 PM

Dealing with morons whilst shooting in public

If you are shooting in public and some clown comes up and makes faces in your lens and sticking his grotesque looking tounge into it, is it ok to show him in a production and make a fool of him?
My thought is that if he didn't want to be taped, he would not have done that. You should see this guy, I wanted to bust his nose but he walked away and that was the end of it. I got it on tape. Does this happen to you guys?

Patrick King March 18th, 2005 05:10 PM

At least post the clip and let us laugh at him.

Cleveland Brown March 18th, 2005 05:11 PM

How do I do that? It's kinda sick.

Christopher C. Murphy March 18th, 2005 05:12 PM

BB guns always work for me. ;)

K. Forman March 18th, 2005 05:19 PM

The ones that irritate me, are those who cross in front of your camera, and stand there looking at it. They always get that "Oops!" face, and make the hands up shrug in appology. Duh!

I would tend to agree with you. He WANTS to be taped, and being a nuisance, mock him to the fullest. HOWEVER, this is also highly illegal, as you don't have a signed release. But, if you wanted to keep it for personal performance, and not public display... go for it ;)

Dylan Couper March 18th, 2005 05:44 PM

One incident I really enjoyed....
I was one of about 6 people shooting a bikini contest during a major sporting event. Most of us were shooting XL1's or smaller cams, but the big shot TV news crew were represented by two grizzled veterans with big DSR-570s. There was one particularly grumpy punk rock guy in the front row, who would always throw his middle finger up in front for the TV crew's lenses, (and occasionaly the rest of us). The reaction of the vet who got flipped off was priceless. He looked like someone just shat on his Mona Lisa, and spent every moment he wasn't shooting for the rest of the show trying to stare down Punk Rock Guy (like staring down a sack of potatos, the potatos just don't care). I'm sure he went home and snapped on his wife and kids. It still makes me smile.
I just cut out the footage of Punk Rock Guy and shot around him the rest of the day. He was a pretty ugly kid anyway.

Generaly if it's ENG stuff, I don't mind if people in the crowd do stuff, the more interesting the better. I'll give them a thumbs up if it works while still shooting. If it isn't ENG, then what am I doing shooting in public without some crowd control or more private camera placement?

Dan Uneken March 26th, 2005 01:44 AM

Once saw this interview on the street. A girl was crossing in the near background and she lifted her skirt for the camera. Brilliant! Nice looking kid too.

Cleveland Brown March 26th, 2005 03:11 AM

How about posting a picture of that. I'm sure Chris wouldn't be too terribly angry. I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet that most of us would be happy to take a look.

Dan Uneken March 26th, 2005 03:42 AM

Don't think I have a picture, but the scene was aired here in Spain in a "Bloopers" type program, so maybe someone else has a link to it. Yum.

Dylan Couper March 26th, 2005 03:44 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Cleveland Brown : How about posting a picture of that. I'm sure Chris wouldn't be too terribly angry. I could be wrong but I'd be willing to be that most of us would be happy to take a look. -->>>

For technical purposes only?? ;)

Dan Uneken March 26th, 2005 03:55 AM

Yes. How to change focus really fast!

Jos Svendsen March 26th, 2005 03:56 AM

A friend of mine did some alternative crowdcontrol. He made some posters with the text "Warning - hidden camera - in progress" Put the posters up around his location, and added a strange looking cardbord box well away from the camera.

All the morons performs in front of the box. Everybody else was keeping a very safe distance, and he got all the shots he needed

Jesse Bekas March 27th, 2005 12:38 AM

I was just shooting an exterior establishing shot of a building with a DVX, and three different cars that passed by honked their horns for the entire stretch of the little block we were on after they saw me.

Now, I wasn't taking sound, but how would they know. I can only assume they wanted to ruin my shot. :(

Cleveland Brown March 27th, 2005 01:33 AM

I guess some people just like to get attention any way they can. Unfortunate for the rest of us. I still want to know how to post a clip of it in here. It might fall under the catagory of "Horror".

Graham Bernard March 27th, 2005 02:14 AM

Just HAVE to tell you this story that happened to me.

I want a scene setter for a 30 minute video of an outdoor event in a London park . .ok

Early moring - about 5:00am early Summer in London. Birds just about up and starting to sing. Golden Sun shimmering through the willows and plain trees . . buses starting to trundle along roads . . .

. .. Into shot screams a car with 3 very late LATE revelling blokes. Shout from other side of the road, through open windows - " Eh watch yah doing mate!?!" . .I give NO respnse . .and keep concentrating on the beautiful scene unfolding . . Willows, plain tress, birdsong and Golden Sun . .. . blues skies starting to kick in .. Me? I'm pi££ing in my pants! Dead scared!

Well they get bored and off the scream . . .

. .. . you guessed it - 60 seconds later, they have turned around and they now are screaming down the road at about 70mph to where I'm set up with my camera and paid for equipment! . . One of the Geysers says, "What you doing? What's this ( reading the long poster on the park fence ) what's this Fun Day about then - eh?" . . .Quick thinking on my part . . I say, well it is . .blah blah blah . . . they then tell me, "Oh, we just come from a house of ill repute and Sam here couldn't do it - he got shy!" . .. we all laugh . .even Sam.

BUT .. but but . .I did use their serendipitus screaming to halt in front of me, and their "what's all this about then?" and cut it into the serenity of the openning shots . . . WORKED LIKE A BLEEDin' DREAM! Thank you God!

Sometimes, somethings happen that can be used. I still chuckle to myself when I remember this!

Take care . .

Grazie