DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Song of the South (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/42258-song-south.html)

K. Forman April 2nd, 2005 06:46 AM

Song of the South

Talk about a moral dilema... I would love to buy a good quality bootleg of this old Disney film. Now, before anyone says I'm scum for supporting piracy, I don't support it. Normally. However, Disney had pulled this classic from the market, leaving me with no way to share it with my children.

I understand their reason, almost, as it shows the old South and stereotypical old South Black folk. On the other hand, Uncle Remus' stories were more entertaining than Aesop's fables, with similar lessons.

So, with all that being said... Anyone have a copy to sell???

Dylan Couper April 2nd, 2005 12:08 PM

http://search.ebay.com/song-of-the-s...fkrZ1QQfromZR8

If you can't find it here.... :)

K. Forman April 2nd, 2005 12:22 PM

Thanks Dylan... I never thought of ebay. I also never expected to see it on DVD, or going for $40 and $50. I'll have me a copy in a week! thanks again :)

Marco Leavitt April 2nd, 2005 03:36 PM

I'm sure I've read some where (maybe in here?) that Disney has finally changed their position and are in the process making the DVD right now.

K. Forman April 2nd, 2005 04:02 PM

I know they pulled it, because it was-- politically incorrect. Some of the movies on ebay were European, so I guess Europe has dfferent tolerance levels.

One seller said that the movie was not factory produced, or something like it. I would take that to read bootleg.

Daniel Runyon April 5th, 2005 12:25 AM

Yessir, these are European bootlegs, transfered from PAL and sold on EBAY. As a matter of fact, I picked up a copy from Ebay a couple of Christmas's ago for my Mom's present...it was the ONLY Disney Classic she didnt have, and most of them were PAL, or you could pay extra and get one that was pre-transfered. The one I got (VHS) even came in a bootleg Disney box with molded mouse ears! It really meant something to my Mother, as she had seen it in theaters way on back, and had even taken me to a screening of it when I was a small child.

BTW, while youre there (ebay), might as well pick up the REAL original Star Wars trilogy on DVD!

K. Forman April 5th, 2005 05:13 AM

I already have Star Wars, plus ep. II... Still need I & III

Daniel Runyon April 5th, 2005 09:09 AM

The original...unretouched....untampered...old school trilogy?

Luis Caffesse April 5th, 2005 09:50 AM

I actually have a DVD copy of Song of the South.
If I can dig up the site that I bought it from, I'll let you know.
It was transfered from the laserdisc that was out at one time, so it looks pretty clean.

I'll see if I can find the site.

by the way, speaking of ebay and star wars....
you haven't lived until you've seen the star wars holiday special.

Commercial exploitation at it's best!

Marco Leavitt April 5th, 2005 10:39 AM

You mean that horrible Ewok special?

Luis Caffesse April 5th, 2005 10:52 AM

No, you're thinking of "The Ewok Adventure", and the sequel "the Battle for Endor"

I'm talking about "The Star Wars Holiday Special"
By comparisson, the Ewok movies look like Lawrence of Arabia.

It came out in either 77 or 78 (not sure).
It was before Empire came out (and as a little piece of trivia for you, it had the first appearance of Boba Fett).

It is horrible beyond words.
As a friend of mine likes to say, it's a "beautiful disaster"

The entire special (2 hours long) is excruciating to watch.
It centers around a ridiculous storyline of Chewie trying to get home to his family (yes, chewie has a family apparently) in time for "Life Day," some sort of wookie holiday which is never really explained (though it has something to do with the 'Tree of Life').

It was a big variety show...bouncing between the storyline, and musical numbers by Jefferson Starship and Bea Arthur, to name a couple. The best (or worst) thing about it is, seeing as a lot of centers around Chewie's family, there are huge chunks of this thing where all we hear are wookies grunting at each other. I guess they were just too lazy to write any dialogue and subtitle it.

Harvey Corman was in it, along with Art Carney, and all of the original Star Wars cast. If you can stomach it for 2 hours, I highly recommend watching it. It's especially painful to watch how they try to incorporate Star Wars footage into it (for example, everytime they cut to Darth Vadar they used footage from the movie, and just dubbed his lines over it).

Lucas has said in interviews that if he had the power, he would personally smash every single copy with a hammer personally.
:)

Needless to say, I don't think he had much creative input on this thing.

Marco Leavitt April 5th, 2005 11:39 AM

Oh my God -- I saw that! I had forgotten about it entirely. Yeah, really, really bad. Even as a kid who was obsessed with Star Wars, I couldn't manage to sit through the whole thing when it originally aired. I certainly don't remember Jefferson Starship.