Internet 2 - the next generation internet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 12th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Internet 2 - the next generation internet

Does anyone have anymore information on a technology currently being used by colleges called Internet 2. Apparently it was developed by Georgia Tech in Atlanta but is used across universities to move huge amounts of data. I just saw a local news story on Tech students being in trouble for apparently using it to download media, songs, etc., illegally. It was said that this technology allows the ability to download a DVD movie at DVD quality in about 30 seconds. Uhhh, that changes everything.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #2
Trustee

Thanks for bringing that up. I don't remember hearing about that. There're doesn't seem to be that much coverage about it, but here's some links I found.

http://www.internet2.edu
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/03/11/internet2/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,360975,00.asp
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #3
Trustee

We have it here in MA, what with all those schools. You are still limited by the speed of the weakest link when you want to transfer stuff. If your destination is a slow Web site, you get low transfer rates.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #4
Wrangler

Internet2 has been around since the Clinton administration.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #5
Trustee

Does that mean Al Gore invented this one too?!

You're right though - the concepts and plans for it have been in the works for quite some time. I remember reading several years back how this next phase in broadband will involve asynchronous transfer - meaning that the architecture would allow for simultaneous upload and download with no loss in speeds to either. Just one of its boons.

I couldn't begin to tell you how such technology would work, but it's exciting, that's for sure. Internet 1 architecture is, by technology standards, becoming ancient - decades old at this point.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media