DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Fanfare for the common man (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/42929-fanfare-common-man.html)

Richard Veil April 13th, 2005 06:53 PM

Fanfare for the common man

Fanfare for the common man

So where is the thank you for Richard Jewell?
Where is his heroic story now that the real bomber has confessed? What is wrong with our news media, our Government, what is wrong with us? Where is the outrage at the injustice? Where is the fanfare for the common man?

In 1996 Richard Jewell prevented the deaths and injury of countless people when he discovered unexploded pipe bombs at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta and helped warn people and evacuate them to safety.
Why is it now that we have the real bomber behind bars and closure for victims and their families do we only hear silence in regard to the travesty of justice that ended up almost destroying Richard Jewell’s life. What does this say to future heroes like Jewell in this age of terrorism? How can America ask anyone to sacrifice himself or herself for the greater good when the reward is distain and betrayal?
It is sad that we are unable to admit a mistake or even offer a word of gratitude to our heroes. What is even sadder and more pathetic is we wonder why there are not more heroes in this world. Let me give you a hint, how many times have you read or heard these words?
“THANK YOU MR. JEWELL FOR SAVING LIVES!”

Joe Carney April 14th, 2005 10:24 AM

I was thinking the same thing. I thought the FBI was supposed to not only apologize, but make a public statement completely exonerating him of any wrong doing. Or maybe I heard it from someone requesting they do that?

After WACO and ruby ridge, and giving the guy who warned them about an upcoming terrorist attack on New York a incredibly hard time, so much so he quit in disgust...it's hard to trust them. Especially when they claim they need us to.

Mathieu Ghekiere April 14th, 2005 12:48 PM

Can you explain me more about the history? I live in Belgium, don't know what you are talking about + in 1996 I was about 9 years old, so I didn't really watch the news or something.
I'm just interested.
Thanks,

Keith Loh April 14th, 2005 01:24 PM

Jewell was a security guard who spotted a suspicious package. He started moving people away when it exploded. The FBI decided that he was the most likely suspect and cooked up a theory that he had done it in a bid to gain recognition as a hero. Jewell would not confess so the FBI and the U.S. attorney put a full court press on him. I forget how long it took but obviously Jewell was placed in an intolerable position financially, personally and in the eyes of the public.

PBS transcript about Jewell

I didn't recall this but at least he got something back from the affair by suing NBC

Mark Williams April 14th, 2005 01:25 PM

Just google "1996 Olympic Bombings" and there is a ton of information.

Being in Atlanta most of my life this is my take on things. Richard was just a good olde southern boy, not real smart but with a heart of gold. That's why when he got slammed by the FBI and more so the Atlanta media he was basically destroyed as a person. Although vindication was forthcoming the damage to his reputation was done. Sometimes simple people step forward and do great things but his heroic efforts came at a great price.

Regards,

Mark

Luis Caffesse April 14th, 2005 01:31 PM

What is most sad to me is that I have to admit I didn't even
think about this until I read this post.

Jewell's life was practically ruined, and here people like me
didn't give it a second thought.

Thanks for putting things in perspective Richard, and
reminding me that there are things in life more important
than what's coming out at NAB next week.

Keith Loh April 14th, 2005 01:33 PM

Joe writes:
Quote:

giving the guy who warned them about an upcoming terrorist attack on New York a incredibly hard time, so much so he quit in disgust
I believe Joe is referring to John O'Neill, who at one time was the FBI's foremost expert on al Qaeda at a few years before September 11th, 2001.

PBS Frontline has an awesome program on O'Neill called "The Man Who Knew" which still sends chills up and down my spine. I'll let PBS' site explain it the best.

"For six years, John O'Neill was the FBI's leading expert on Al Qaeda. He warned of its reach. He warned of its threat to the U.S. But to the people at FBI headquarters, O'Neill was too much of a maverick, and they stopped listening to him. He left the FBI in the summer of 2001 and took a new job as head of security at the World Trade Center."

Richard Veil April 14th, 2005 07:40 PM

Re: Fanfare for the common man

I have always wanted to meet mr jewell. He seems to be a really good person and he holds no neg energy against those who used him

i just found this link trying yo find contact info for him

let me know if anybody figures out ho to contact him and spread my thoughts around to as many people as possible inc media

san fran chron tomarrow? but don't hold your breath
thanks for your support of american hero richard jewell

http://www.mariebrenner.com/articles/nightmare/jewell4.html

he is welcome to my home anytime
rv

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Veil : Fanfare for the common man

So where is the thank you for Richard Jewell?
Where is his heroic story now that the real bomber has confessed? What is wrong with our news media, our Government, what is wrong with us? Where is the outrage at the injustice? Where is the fanfare for the common man?

In 1996 Richard Jewell prevented the deaths and injury of countless people when he discovered unexploded pipe bombs at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta and helped warn people and evacuate them to safety.
Why is it now that we have the real bomber behind bars and closure for victims and their families do we only hear silence in regard to the travesty of justice that ended up almost destroying Richard Jewell’s life. What does this say to future heroes like Jewell in this age of terrorism? How can America ask anyone to sacrifice himself or herself for the greater good when the reward is distain and betrayal?
It is sad that we are unable to admit a mistake or even offer a word of gratitude to our heroes. What is even sadder and more pathetic is we wonder why there are not more heroes in this world. Let me give you a hint, how many times have you read or heard these words?
“THANK YOU MR. JEWELL FOR SAVING LIVES!” -->>>