DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Napoleon Dynamite Legislation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/42977-napoleon-dynamite-legislation.html)

Imran Zaidi April 14th, 2005 02:16 PM

Napoleon Dynamite Legislation

Apparently not a joke - Idaho is passing a bill to officially commend Joshua and Jerusha Hess on the making of Napoleon Dynamite and putting, um... Idaho on the positive map, increasing toursim, etc... The exact reasons are itemized in the bill...

http://www3.state.id.us/oasis/HCR029.html

"The purpose of this resolution is to recognize and commend Jared and Jerusha Hess for their cinematic talents by which they have increased the nation's awareness of Idaho."

Dylan Couper April 14th, 2005 04:16 PM

I think that in itself just lowered my impression of Idaho.

Luis Caffesse April 14th, 2005 04:38 PM

For those who don't want to actually read the bill, here are some choice excerpts:

"WHEREAS, Uncle Rico's football skills are a testament to Idaho athletics;"

"WHEREAS, Napoleon's artistic rendition of Trisha is an example of the importance of the visual arts in K-12 education"

"WHEREAS, any members of the House of Representatives or the Senate of the Legislature of the State of Idaho who choose to vote "Nay" on this concurrent resolution are "FREAKIN' IDIOTS!" and run the risk of having the "Worst Day of Their Lives!""

"BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that we, the members of the House of Representatives and the Senate of the State of Idaho, advocate always following your heart, and thus we eagerly await the next cinematic undertaking of Idaho's Hess family."

Christopher C. Murphy April 14th, 2005 05:03 PM

It's either Napoleon Dynamite or a Potato.

If I were then...I'd choose Napoleon Dynamite too.

LOL!

Brad Bodily April 14th, 2005 05:14 PM

Way to go, Idaho!

Marco Leavitt April 14th, 2005 05:52 PM

I think it's sweet. Good for the Hesses. An honor like this means a lot more than a lot of other awards that get given out.

Imran Zaidi April 14th, 2005 10:37 PM

My guess is they wanted to do this but putting it through as a bill is just a formality, so they went ahead and made it funny.

I laughed out loud reading it! If only Congress was this funny, we might actually care what happens on C-Span.

Lorinda Norton April 14th, 2005 11:04 PM

OMG!!!

That's not embarrassing or anything! How'd you find that, Imran? I live here and didn't know a thing about it! You'd think those clowns at the Statehouse didn't have better things to do.

The funniest thing I ever saw about this state was on Late Night w/Conan O'Brien. In making his usual fun of the states and their quarters he showed the back of Idaho's quarter. It said, "If you can think of anything we can be proud of, call 1-800-555-5555." I nearly fell off my chair.

Be fair, now. Parts of Idaho (not where I live) are absolutely gorgeous--some of the prettiest rivers around. Other than that... : )

EDIT: Oops! Sorry, Brad, but I've lived here my whole life. Sometimes it feels like we've earned the jokes. Actually, it used to be a great place to live--till all the people moved in. : )

Christopher C. Murphy April 15th, 2005 08:56 AM

Lorinda, people think New Hampshire is a suburb of Boston!

That is until the New Hampshire Primary happens every 4 years. They want to take away the Primary too!! Then you and I will be in the same boat. lol

I eat your potatos all the time....tasty. Thanks!

Oh, and at least you made it into this classic children's poem (that probably no one has heard before!):

"If Mississippi wore a New Jersey - what would Delaware? Idaho...Alaska!"

Joe Carney April 15th, 2005 06:38 PM

To think I have lots of relatives in the Boise, Meridian and Nampa areas. Dynamite? How about instant mashed potatoes (Simplot anyone?).

Joe Carney April 15th, 2005 06:48 PM

I guess everyone has tried to forget that forgetable Kevin Costner movie? Or did the legislature say anything about that one?

Dylan Couper April 15th, 2005 07:10 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Carney : To think I have lots of relatives in the Boise, Meridian and Nampa areas. Dynamite? How about instant mashed potatoes (Simplot anyone?). -->>>

Sorry, I believe those were a Canadian invention. William Shatner and instant mashed potatoes? We're on a roll!

Eric Emerick April 17th, 2005 06:10 PM

Well, let's not get our shorts bunched up over this, it happens in every state, all the time. I recall when I won the US Open Wheelcair Tennis Champs. in '96, I was invited down to the NY State Capitol Building for Disability Awareness Day, and was honored (or ambushed), without forewarning, by the senate/assembly in the exact same way ( had to come up with an impromptu speech too, geez ). I'm sure there's a template for these resolutions that an aide can produce and/or modify in a heartbeat. And every year, someone else gets that very same honor. All I can say is that it was nice, nothing more, nothing less. It didn't hurt making political contacts with a few bigwigs either. It really is who you know, hehe.

Eric Emerick April 17th, 2005 06:12 PM

after reading the resolution again, no, clearly NOT a template. wow, they really considered the subject, bravo!

Joe Carney April 17th, 2005 09:36 PM

Sorry, I believe those were a Canadian invention. William Shatner and instant mashed potatoes? We're on a roll!<<

Dylan...I've been making it my personal mission to convince the state controled liquor stores in VA to start stocking Iceberg Vodka. No luck so far.
Oh well. My opinion of VA has gotten lower with each passing week.