Detecting commercials at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Detecting commercials

Hi everybody.

Just wondering if anyone would know if any technology has been developed that would allow a VCR to pause recording during commercials? Does TiVo have such a function (I haven't really used TiVo)?

Just curious.
Mike Scoboria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If you want to skip commercials, Tivo can do that for you easily. You can pause live TV anytime with TiVo.
Nathan Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Major Player

My 10 yr old VCR has a feature called Commercial Advance that works pretty well. At the end of the show it goes back and marks all the commercials. Then when you watch it, it fast forwards thru them. Dish DVR also has a 30-second advance button, so when I am watching a recorded show, I hit "advance" 4 times, or 8 or ten, and then when I see the show I backup 10 or 20 seconds and start watching.
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #4
Trustee

...or you can download tv shows that have commercials already cut out and came from HD sources.
Old June 5th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I reread my message and I really didn't word it correctly. I meant can I set a VCR or TV to record a program at a specific time, and when it records by it self can it be set to automatically cut out the commercials? So when I go to watch it the commercials are not there at all.
Mike Scoboria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #6
Trustee

on the VCR, there are no "commercial flags' so no.

like i said, the easiest way is d/l. you get higher quality recordings and it's precut.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media