Ten years of video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Wrangler

Ten years of video

Apropos of nothing, I suppose, but as I finally get around to selling some of my cameras, it occurred to me to line up the cameras I've shot video with in the past 10 years for a "family portrait."

Yeah, they're all Canon. And this is besides my wife's 20D, the Canon All-in-One, and Canon flatbed scanner. But besides leaving myself open to being called a Canon Fanboy, this picture reminds me how far video has come in the past 10 years.

Just to make things a little interesting for those who are bored with their Sunday afternoon football game, here's a little sleuthing for fun. All the cameras were actually shot together in one frame except one, which was added through the magic of PhotoShop (because I was in a hurry and forgot to set it down with the others. It's a quick-n-dirty composite job, so there are probably little clues. Can you figure out which camera wasn't included in the original picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Ten years of video-7-video-cameras-medium.jpg  
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

My bet goes on the newest one, lower left hand corner of the frame
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

the shadows are "backwards" on the one on the lower left - so that's my guess too.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with being happy with one manufacturer and sticking with them <wink>. Use the gear that works for YOU!

**edit** - the grain pattern is also slightly "off", shadow color doesn't match (although it's close <wink>), and I can detect a little of that odd "3D floating" effect on the strap that always drives me nuts when watching CGI movies/TV!

Last edited by Dave Blackhurst; January 10th, 2010 at 02:39 PM.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Missing from this image: Pete's little PowerShot SD870 IS Elph that was used to take the photo.

That's quite a line-up!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

D'oh! Chris busted me on that one...I try to avoid taking video with the PowerShots (both the SD500 that got broke in my briefcase and the SD870 I currently carry) but have done and will do if necessary. Didn't even think about that. And now I'm not all Canon, as my employer just replaced my Blackberry with a model (the Bold) that will do (crappy) video. Maybe cameras are like offspring...if you have so many that you forget about some of them, then you have too many.
;-)

I'll wait a day or two to give more bored souls a shot at the picture puzzle before spilling the beans.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Wrangler

Nice Pete. I would try the same thing, but I no longer have all of my cameras and my first serious one (VX2000) was purchased in 2001 so I only go back 9 years.

My vote for the photoshop job goes to either the one on the left (sorry, not familiar enough with Canon to know what it is) or maybe the 5D, unless you got really fancy since the others overlap to some degree. Whichever one it is, that's a good job - nothing jumps out as being fake to me.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Second one from the left. Camera with the big lens & strap.

Cool thread btw.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Nice Pete, you must have a huge archive of footage to go with all those beauties. How about a clip from each...

I vote the far left. Shadow is not blue like the others, and there's a shadow to the left of the object, same side as the light source....
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Wrangler

The Vixia HF10, on the far left of the picture, was photoshopped in.
Scott, that's a great idea; I'm pretty busy right now but when I get a chance I'll put a short video montage together with a clip from each camera.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media