DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   CNN allowing viewers' images & compressed video on the air (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/47510-cnn-allowing-viewers-images-compressed-video-air.html)

James Emory July 11th, 2005 12:36 AM

CNN allowing viewers' images & compressed video on the air

CNN is now requesting that viewers e-mail images and video of the hurricane with alot of it coming from these new camera phones that can transmit directly from the scene. Just wait until phones transmit live video. These types of phone images were used in the coverage of the London attacks. I think it's safe to say that this is a good indication of where alot of breaking news footage will be coming from in the very near future. I also think it's a great marketing move for them because they will get exclusive video not only faster but potentially by those that are involved with the event. An important question to ask is, will they pay for the footage? I think that the average person would probably just give it to them because of the coolness of having it used by CNN. As technology advances and video gets cleaner and more manageable, I think independent paid shooters are going to be very scarce.

Stills & Video Submission Page
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/hur...ack/index.html

Christopher C. Murphy July 11th, 2005 06:47 AM

Taking video or stills from amatuers isn't new - it's been done since the advent of television news. The only difference is CNN will have more bad video to filter through. Yes, the quality will rise...to a VHS quality, then onward. We've had mini-dv quality amatuer video submitted to CNN for like 10 years now. People can get it to them faster now which is great, but overall the "pro" videographer working for a news station is perfectly safe. Who wants to watch crappy looking video on the news...unless it's the only thing available? The news stations know they need to off-set the crap video with "pro" production values whenever possible. They've always known that.

It's just another way for them to tell the news story. Using amatuer "film" and "video" on newscast pretty much began with the advent of recorded media. Remember the "Zeppelin" footage? It was used it "news reels" in movie theaters. I'm sure there were lots before that too. Oh, in the US....the Zepruter film was used on the news. The guy shot a historic event and he was amatuer. It has become one of the most famous amatuer films ever...didn't stop "pro" videography for the next 40+ years!!

Anhar Miah July 11th, 2005 08:46 AM

Probably the best video from a Cell Phone

I have found the Samsung E720 to be able to take amzingly extremly high quality video (for a Mobile phone), and i was wondering if anybody else knows if this is the best quality currently? (i.e. does anyone know of a phone that takes better video)

please check out the videos for yourself:

(scroll all the way down near the bottom, where it says sample video)

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...-e720-en.shtml

what do you guys think about the quality

Anhar Hussain Miah

Charles Papert July 11th, 2005 10:03 AM

Geez, that is impressive video quality coming out of that phone--scary, even! Now all that is needed is some sort of stabilizer--teeny tiny Steadicam, Micro Fig Rig, the mind boggles...

Actually, the footage has a really interesting quality in terms of the handheld shake, like nothing I've ever seen due to the phone's lack of inertia. That would make for a great frenzied POV shot or a music video or something.

James Emory July 11th, 2005 10:52 AM

I totally agree with Charles. The quality of that video is very good considering the source. If an operator just stood still and captured an event it would be even better. I just love the dual video lights. I wonder how much something like that costs?

Chris, I wasn't referring to staff shooters not being employeed as much as independents like most of us. If those cheap asses can get decent video for free they sure ain't gonna pay one of us, not anything worthwhile anyway.

Anhar Miah July 11th, 2005 03:48 PM

:) y'know before long someones just bound to make a feature length movie on a cell phone!!

I know that particluar phone is available here in the UK, i dont know the wether Samsung make a USA version or not (i hope some one can verify)

I also hear that a new Sony Erickson mobile phone is the worlds first to include real autofocus and 2 megapixel (or was it 3 ? cant remember)

PS @ James, the Samsung E720 comes free with most phone contracts so i dont know what it cost.

Patrick King July 11th, 2005 04:42 PM

Anhar,

I'd have to agree with you, someone will make a film on a cell phone just like they did using the 5fps capability of a digital still cam (and the one I saw really told the story pretty well).

The videocamphone will be just another medium for some artist to paint on, and if the story is good, it'll be worth watching, if not, it wouldn't matter if they used a CineAlta.

Now if they could just standardize the display screen on phones to the 16:9 format...and add an MPEG2 codec...and... man technology moves fast!

James Emory July 11th, 2005 06:13 PM

By the way, does anyone know what fps these video phones use? Can the video files be transferred out of the phone to a PC and conversely can video files be imported into the phone from a PC and transmitted as a video message to a recipient?

Jos Svendsen July 16th, 2005 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Emory
By the way, does anyone know what fps these video phones use? Can the video files be transferred out of the phone to a PC and conversely can video files be imported into the phone from a PC and transmitted as a video message to a recipient?

Highest quality in the moment is 15 fps with 352x288 pixels. Format is MPEG4. These files can be transmitted to a pc using Bluetooth or cabel-connection. Quicktime can be used to view and convert these files.

Getting video from a pc to a phone is a lot more difficult, and not really supported. All modern phones can transmit MMS messages with video, but these are limited to 64KB. Videostreaming from any other source that the phones camera is not supported on any phone I know of.

James Emory June 8th, 2007 02:36 AM

Fox News & uReport - It's about time!

Not that I'll use it because I'm not working for FREE but it's about time Fox News got their act together! I think the VT incident prompted them to put a fire under it. You should see their disclaimer and what happens once you submit your content. Be careful what you submit because you could lose some rights to it.

Fox News uReport
http://www.foxnews.com/us/ureport/index.html

Disclaimer & Submission Terms
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,95454,00.html

"... You agree that your uploading and/or transmittal of Content does not violate any of provisions set forth under the “Bulletin Boards and Chat Rooms” section of these terms. If you upload or transmit Content, you grant to FOX a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, publish, translate, create derivative works (including products) from, distribute, and display such Content, in whole or in part, throughout the world in all media. You grant to FOX the right to use the name that you submit in connection with such Content.

You agree that any Content that you submit shall be considered non-proprietary and non-confidential. FOX shall have no obligations of any kind with respect to any Content and shall be free to reproduce, use, disclose and/or distribute any Content for any purpose whatsoever, without limitation. You also agree that FOX shall be free to use any ideas, concepts or techniques embodied in the Content for any purpose whatsoever, including, but not limited to, producing, developing and marketing news stories, shows, content of any kind, products or services incorporating such ideas, concepts, or techniques, without attribution. In addition, you hereby waive all moral rights you may have in any materials uploaded or sent to us by you. ...
"

Bill Davis June 10th, 2007 09:24 PM

A dime will get you a dollar there was a seminar at NAB with a title like "User Generated Content - the New Trend in TV."

All these guys probably ran back to their stations and started a "network/station initiative" to incorporate this concept into their workflow.

I know at least 3 of the Phoenix stations are making the same pitch to viewers to submit their home video/celphone video for breaking news coverage - so it's not just a national CNN/Fox level thing. It's everywhere.

And I'm totally not surprised that by submitting your work there's a legal relinquishing of a big chunk of your copyright. Taking time to negotiate rights delays geting the footage on the air RIGHT NOW! Which is what news is all about.

James Emory June 10th, 2007 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have shot for CNN several times as a contractor and have always been able to retain the full ownership of my footage to sell to other agencies. They said that's the way the majority of their non-exclusive content is handled. I have attached the media content contract they have you complete.

Greg Boston June 10th, 2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Davis (Post 695038)
And I'm totally not surprised that by submitting your work there's a legal relinquishing of a big chunk of your copyright. Taking time to negotiate rights delays geting the footage on the air RIGHT NOW! Which is what news is all about.

I'm not surprised either. But there are already standard systems in place for broadcast rights for those who expect to be paid a legitimate sum for their contribution. Stringers make use of those systems.

Right now, the networks are looking to tap into a free resource, exploiting the fact that people want their 15 seconds of fame, and will give their video away for free just to see their name on tv.

-gb-

Greg Boston June 10th, 2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Emory (Post 695045)
I have shot for CNN several times as a contractor and have always been able to retain the full ownership of my footage to sell to other agencies. They said that's the way the majority of their non-exclusive content is handled. I have attached the media content contract they have you sign.

Where's the part that spells out your compensation? Or is this what you sign to give them free video?

Just wondering,

-gb-

James Emory June 10th, 2007 10:32 PM

I have established a working relationship with them and have gotten to know several of the story producers so once we negotiate the rate on the phone they send a custom contract. They submit the story purchase approval to their supervisor and then it's sent to accounting where you are entered into their system. They send that custom contract to you that has your rate included along with the content description. You then simply reply to their e-mail agreeing to the contract and it's like an electronic signature which good enough for them.