DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Quick question for anyone with TiVo experience (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/47991-quick-question-anyone-tivo-experience.html)

Eric Wotila July 19th, 2005 06:59 PM

Quick question for anyone with TiVo experience

Well, as I've mentioned numerous times, I'm working on starting up a newscast at our local access station.

We're getting national/world news feeds from CNN Newsource via a satellite downlink. Right now, we record using an SVHS deck and a self timer. Somebody swaps tapes twice a day.

I came up with a better concept for recording--pick up a Tivo, and record our downlinks through that. The price of a TiVo is beyond reasonable--but my question is, will it function at all without a subscription? I just need to program a few record times from the A/V input, I don't need any of the fancy features. Basically, I need a hard disk recorder with self timer. The TiVo will do that just fine--if it will function without the subscription. (I don't want to pay for a fancy service I won't use)

Anyway--can anyone give me their thoughts on this? Will the TiVo do what I need without a subscription? Thanks!

Yi Fong Yu July 19th, 2005 08:57 PM

TiVo is geared towards homeowners. for your "application" if you want to get away from SVHS, i recommend building a computer server with tv capture card. i'm sure there are many others on the forum that can recommend add in accessories to make it more professional, but from my own knowledge. i'd build a computer+TV capture+capture software. then all you have to do is set what time and how long is the block for recording on mpeg4. then you can h00k it up via network cable via gigabit card to retransmit that info back to whatever you want to play it back. since the resolution is only SVHS, you can even do wifi 802.11g flavor.

Eric Wotila July 19th, 2005 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
TiVo is geared towards homeowners. for your "application" if you want to get away from SVHS, i recommend building a computer server with tv capture card. i'm sure there are many others on the forum that can recommend add in accessories to make it more professional, but from my own knowledge. i'd build a computer+TV capture+capture software. then all you have to do is set what time and how long is the block for recording on mpeg4. then you can h00k it up via network cable via gigabit card to retransmit that info back to whatever you want to play it back. since the resolution is only SVHS, you can even do wifi 802.11g flavor.

Good concept--the only factor is that I can get a TiVo for $100.

If it will do what I need, I really can't beat the price, though I know it's not exactly "pro" equipment. :)

Joshua Starnes July 20th, 2005 10:19 AM

Yes, a TiVo will function without the subscription service. All the subscription service does is provide program information - but the TiVo itself can still function as a normal VCR - you just have to set the start and stop times manually for each thing you want to record.

Of course, the subscription service is only $13/month - but you don't actually need it.