DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Space Shuttle Launch Tomorrow! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/48316-space-shuttle-launch-tomorrow.html)

Mike Teutsch July 25th, 2005 08:04 PM

Space Shuttle Launch Tomorrow!

I'm thinking of sticking a camera in the truck and heading toward Kennedy Space Center in the morning, for the Shuttle launch. No tickets of course, so does anyone know a good location to get some footage in the area, without getting into trouble?

I would really appreciate any help.

Mike

Stephanie Wilson July 26th, 2005 01:00 AM

Sorry that nobody has given you a "secret" site to shoot from. May I only offer the slightest bit of advice.... Go AUTO with your audio settings. I shot a rocket launch recently and would have blown out my on board mic if it wasn't set on the Auto setting. That's what it's for and it worked perfectly in this situation.

Best of luck,

Stephanie

Pete Bauer July 26th, 2005 01:31 AM

Mike,

On the 13th, all the roads anywhere near KSC were an absolute madhouse for several hours. It was still quiet at 3AM EDT when I arrived but that'll change quickly. So whatever location you choose, ya need to get on the road soon!

Unless you're already appropriately badged, you won't be able to get on KSC. Cocoa's kind of far away, but if you stake out a spot on the beach you should have a reasonable view. Hope we all see a launch today!

K. Forman July 26th, 2005 07:08 AM

From what I hear, a lot of folks go to the end of Hwy 50, and hang out at the river. It's as close as you are likely to get.

Barry Gribble July 26th, 2005 09:45 AM

Boy, I saw it go up today on TV.... glad everyone is safe.

Did you guys see the camera they had live from the underside of the shuttle? Wow, that was nice. I was wondering what frame rate and resolution they were getting at NASA. Certainly that was there to help them spot any safety problems, so they probably didn't scrimp...

Mike Teutsch July 26th, 2005 11:58 AM

Just got home, How Cool!

Just got back from watching the launch of Discovery. What a great sight! Watched it from the rivers edge on Hwy 528 at Port Canaveral. Just me and about 10 thousand others. Lots excitment and everyone was so hyped. Everyone was really nice and in a great mood. Got to set my sticks right on the edge of the wall, and managed not to fall in.

Was about 4 miles away, so not exactly close-up, but I hope I got some great footage. Sure hope I did not screw it up. I have to do this again sometime.

Mike

Chris Hurd July 26th, 2005 12:18 PM

Congrats on your shoot, Mike -- I agree w/Barry, the view from the tank was amazing, especially at ET-Sep. This was probably the most heavily photographed STS launch ever. If they make a DVD, I'd buy it just to see all the angles!

Barry Gribble July 26th, 2005 12:20 PM

Mike,

That rocks... have always wanted to see a launch live... What was the sound like from 4 miles?

Please post whatever you get.... I notice the TV networks follow it a long way... I wonder what kind of zoom they are using...

Mike Teutsch July 26th, 2005 12:35 PM

Yes, I would buy the DVD too. I turned the TV on when I got home and have still not seen the launch on there. I would give that up to see it in person though.

Just captured the footage and will put part of it up for all. Nothing like the great shots form live TV, but cool anyway. Not easy to follow from about 4 mile away and the 20X lens zoomed way out, but I could still see it in the camera when those next to me said it was out of sight and they started to leave. Still had a spot in the lens when NASA announced that it was 85 miles east of the Cape, and that would be a lot more when you consider that it was about 100 miles up too.

Later,

Mike

Chris Hurd July 26th, 2005 01:10 PM

NASA TV has been running launch replays occasionally throughtout the day.

Pete Bauer July 26th, 2005 05:10 PM

Mike, glad you got a good view!

I was working for this one so couldn't shoot video of the launch, but thinking about taking a family vacation for the next one...hmmm...wheels turning...maybe we DVinfo'ers should gather for STS-121 in September? The next launch window to ISS opens on Sept 9, so I'd presume that's about when the next launch will be. Maybe Chris Hurd will fly us all there?!?!

;-)

Chris Hurd July 26th, 2005 05:49 PM

Great idea, Dr. Pete, but I don't know if I have that many frequent flyer miles racked up on the DV Info Corporate Jet just yet -- we might have to restrict that junket to Wranglers only!

K. Forman July 26th, 2005 06:25 PM

"Great idea, Dr. Pete, but I don't know if I have that many frequent flyer miles racked up on the DV Info Corporate Jet just yet -- we might have to restrict that junket to Wranglers only!"

Then, how about the DVInfo Corporate Greyhound Bus?

Patrick King July 26th, 2005 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephanie Wilson
May I only offer the slightest bit of advice.... Go AUTO with your audio settings. I shot a rocket launch recently and would have blown out my on board mic if it wasn't set on the Auto setting. That's what it's for and it worked perfectly in this situation.

Stephanie,

The AUTO setting you are referring to above is AGC? Do you have a good rule of thumb for when AGC is appropriate? Often here I see folks say to turn it off and leave it off, but you seem to have found a case that perfectly justifies it and I'm certain there must be others. When is good and when isn't in your experience?

Mike Teutsch August 4th, 2005 04:27 PM

Here is some footage!

I finally got around to editing a little video of the launch. I have been busy rebuilding the power head on my V6 Evinrude outboard. I have rebuilt many many motors, from straight 8 Packard’s, Mugs, Chevy, Ford, and even Porsche, but I have to say I was impressed with how an outboard is built. Was very interesting indeed!

Anyway, there is nothing fancy in the editing and I apologize for the cheap graphics, but I have friends waiting for DVDs.

I was far away, maybe 4 to 5 miles, but was still a great sight. You can’t hear much of the shuttle on the recording, but was louder in person. Should have taken one of my better shotguns, but didn’t even think about it. Lots a background noise, generators, people, and the like, but I think it just adds to the realism of the moment. Traffic was a mess, and took me about 10 minutes just to get across the road afterwards.

At one point, Discovery is 48 miles up, and 85 miles NE of the cape, and it is still in sight. Someone next to me says, “It’s out of sight,” but you can still see it in the camera.

It is still about 23mgs, so will take a while to down load, but did not make much sense to make it much smaller. NASA has great footage for you, but if anyone would like any of this footage for any reason, I would be happy to let you have it. I just enjoyed being there. Hope to be able to do it again.

http://treasurecoastvideo.com/machin...07-26-2005.mov

Thanks---Mike