Funny Craigslist outcome at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Funny Craigslist outcome

About a year ago I was in touch with a former co-worker (we worked in the 401k field) who had ventured out into his own flooring business. I was talking to him about the possibility of advertising on local cable (I was then working for the local cable company). He was interested & I took it upon myself to follow thru and make the spot. I posted an ad on Craigslist for 'Talent" and made the spot. Well, he later backed out saying money was short, he had to think about it, etc etc. No big loss, it was mostly my time & effort but yes I did pay the girl.

Anyway, she ended up becoming Kristen on this summers season of Big Brother. I didn't watch it or know about it, until a few days ago. No, I don't know her. She was a nice girl though, but we briefly worked together and that was it.

Anyway, who says you can't find good talent on Craigslist;P
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Well done, David.

I'm looking forward to reading a follow-up post of your former co-worker lamenting that he didn't have that spot going to air now that she is almost B.B. famous! That would be the icing on the cake. :-P

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Ha! Yeah, tbh we still talk but I don't think I'd bring it up. Let sleepers lie. I tried pretty hard getting a few clients to advertise, setting a small campaign & doing the video for low. None were interested citing the eceonomy etc. Differing philosphies, but imho you gotta spend money to make money. Plus it's a chance to get ahead of the other guys, who don't TV advertise. Nonetheless, I've put those ideas on the back burnber for now. He mentioned his business is slow now. I think it was doing great when everyone was taking $10K out of a home equity loan, and fixing up their house, or people flipping houses, but since that market is gone, You're right, it would have been tremendous PR.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

And you're right about it being the time to advertise more than ever. Shame that the first thing to be pulled back is the advertising, rather than increasing it.

So sad how most people can't see beyond next week.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media