The $100 Laptop - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old August 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
And then watch in horror as Microsoft crushes their efforts, sending Cambodians fleeing back into their thatched huts to tend to their dusty looms and pottery wheels.
Microsoft would NEVER do that! After all, they don't sell dusty looms and pottery wheels.

Cheers,
-Matt

a pixel a day keeps boredom at bay
Matt Ockenfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:03 AM   #17
Trustee

This was out in my late teens... we called it the Timex 1000. Some folks called it the T/S 1000 (Timex Sinclair)

The only reason I mention that is that it had a TV based output and not a moniotr or LCD screen output. Maybe it's time someone made a very small box that could hook up to your TV rather than a monitor? It should shave dome cost of the video output circuits as RF modulators are cheap.

It wouldn't be a laptop then but it would help with making hardware cheaper. Apparently resolution isn't really an issue if you are wiling to compromise on quality specs. Also, TVs are generally better now.

Just a thought.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

Revealed:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050928/..._dollar_laptop

heath
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM   #19
Wrangler

When I read this article I remembered Charles' old thread and thought people might be interested in an update:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061231/hundr...ptop.html?.v=4

Looks like it will be a $150 laptop for now, but the specs and user interface are pretty interesting and not what I would have expected:

Quote:
folders are not the organizing metaphor on these machines, unlike most computers since Apple Computer Inc. launched the first Mac in 1984. The knock on folders is that they force users to remember where they stored their information rather than what they used it for.

Instead, the XO machines are organized around a "journal," an automatically generated log of everything the user has done on the laptop. Students can review their journals to see their work and retrieve files created or altered in those sessions.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM   #20
Trustee

Well, well, wouldn't you know. The cheapest computer on the planet would be the one to re-invent the principle on which saved information is organized and presented to the user.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #21
Wrangler

Well Bill Gates doesn't seem to be too impressed with the whole concept (which shouldn't come as much of a surprise).... see his remarks in the following interview:

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/techno...447_page_2.htm

Quote:
I think when you've got shared use, where you've invested in the training and the network and all that, you should have a fully capable machine.
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Well Bill Gates doesn't seem to be too impressed with the whole concept (which shouldn't come as much of a surprise).... see his remarks in the following interview:

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/techno...447_page_2.htm

"We're much more about enabling partner innovation. If you believe in partner innovation, you might say, hmm, that's why the Windows PC has 95% market share. "

And this is the reason I am still updating XP which will not work seemlessly with all of my 'partner software.'
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:31 PM   #23
Wrangler

Updating this old thread yet again with an interesting article from Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0507/100_print.html

Quote:
One of the hardware designers, lamenting that the antennas of traditional laptops were buried in the display screen, asked if he could liberate them to increase range. But industrial designers worried that external antennas would be too fragile. At about the same time, Quanta suggested a locking mechanism for the laptop that designers thought was not child-friendly or durable enough. After several iterations, the antennas now stick up like rabbit ears, but they also serve as latches to hold the laptop closed. And they fold down to cover the USB ports and microphone jacks, acting as dust covers. As of the last test, the antennas could survive a 5-foot drop, open. Best, they pick up signals from a half-mile away and then act as routers to bounce signals along, even when the computer is off. The idea is that a single connection in a school could reach an entire community by bouncing from one laptop to the next.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:52 PM   #24
Inner Circle

$100 Laptop Goes Into production!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6908946.stm
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM   #25
Major Player

It really is a stunning idea and story. I hope some one takes the initiative and makes the documentary...

To bad I'm an ocean away...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media