DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   The $100 Laptop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/48574-100-laptop.html)

Charles Papert July 30th, 2005 12:32 PM

The $100 Laptop

My uncle is one of the principles in an initiative to develop a $100 laptop, which is being designed not as a way to undercut the existing technology for but specifically to get computers in the hands of those who can't afford it, particularly in undeveloped countries. I had a conversation about it with him recently, and he told me that by relaxing the stringent guidelines the major manufacturers have in QC (for instance, active pixel count and screen brightness uniformity) by just 10%, the cost drops radically.

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/

It's pretty fascinating stuff. Also check out the link for Electronic Ink in that article--that one is hard to wrap the mind around (for me at least!) but fascinating also, very science-fiction-y.

As a young child in the early 70's the MIT Artifical Intelligence Lab was my playground--I have memories of robotic hands here, computer-controlled "turtles" zipping around on plotter paper there, all sorts of nifty stuff for the day.

K. Forman July 30th, 2005 12:45 PM

Can you edit native HD with it?

Somebody had to ask ;)

Keith Loh July 30th, 2005 06:46 PM

Hey Charles, my dad is about to work with another company who are putting together a third world computer using basic parts, all open source software. I'll pass this link onto him.

John Hudson July 31st, 2005 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert
....not as a way to undercut the existing technology

What's wrong with that? I'm all for competition especailly after dropping $3300.00 on my workstation; sides Microsoft has a Monopoly and it's time someone cut into it.

Boyd Ostroff July 31st, 2005 08:55 AM

I showed that link to a friend, and his reaction was that Bill Gates would never sit still while hundreds of millions of cheap linux computers were distributed, and he would probably do something to undermine the effort...

Robert Mann Z. July 31st, 2005 10:03 AM

now there is a great idea or a documentary if i ever saw one,

follow the life the 100 dollar laptop fron conception through production struggles all the way to some kids shack in cambodia, where it becomes the focal point of the family, and they decide to buy pink fuzzy slippers on ebay...

Charles Papert July 31st, 2005 10:51 AM

I was told that Dell has already got a task force working on a competing version, but they are getting stuck around the $300 mark.

Fuzzy pink slippers--hee hee!

John Hudson July 31st, 2005 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Mann Z.

follow the life the 100 dollar laptop fron conception through production struggles all the way to some kids shack in cambodia, where it becomes the focal point of the family, and they decide to buy pink fuzzy slippers on ebay...

L M A O!

Charles; is this a laptop for sale in America? And what kind of power and speedare we talking?

Barry Gribble July 31st, 2005 01:00 PM

Charles,

Very interesting... thanks for the info. Wow, quite a playground you had.

It's funny, I think all the time that the laptop I had 8 years ago would still be fine for most applications - word processing, email, etc - anything text-based. The software just keeps getting more and more bulky, requiring more and more hardware. Cheap is really doable... I look forward to what they come up with.

And yes, that EInk thing is crazy... have you seen it in action?

Charles Papert July 31st, 2005 02:10 PM

John:

See the article--I think it will answer those questions.

Matt Ockenfels July 31st, 2005 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hudson
What's wrong with that? I'm all for competition especailly after dropping $3300.00 on my workstation; sides Microsoft has a Monopoly and it's time someone cut into it.

Get an Apple. Aren't they cheaper?

Charles Papert July 31st, 2005 06:36 PM

**sigh** If only.

Lorinda Norton August 1st, 2005 12:14 PM

Quote:

That's really funny--and clever, Robert! The "becomes the focal point" phrase reminded me of "The Gods Must Be Crazy," or old Star Trek episodes when the Enterprise crew violated the prime directive. :)

Heath McKnight August 19th, 2005 07:43 AM

Very interesting! Chas, you and your family are quite cool people, for lack of better adjectives.

heath

Stephen Finton August 20th, 2005 10:11 AM

Quote:

And then watch in horror as Microsoft crushes their efforts, sending Cambodians fleeing back into their thatched huts to tend to their dusty looms and pottery wheels.