Bluray player vs playstation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Bluray player vs playstation

Well, I have gone through three economically priced dvd players and need to replace my sub 100 dollar blu ray player. I was considering a much nicer box when I noticed that the Ps3 slim is about the same. I already own a wii so I don't need more game at the moment. Also it might look cheesy to use a game station for clients. Anyone have an opinion ?
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I bought my PS3 to act as a BD player a few years ago when it was cheaper than a regular player. It's really a miraculous machine, but today there are many BD players that can play a wide variety of formats, the way a PS3 does.

There should be a good variety of refurbed BD players at the Sony Online Outlet or Outlet Store (if you have one near you) that should do the trick. On the other hand, if the PS3 still plays a wider variety of formats than the BD players you've seen, I'd think that would be the way to go.
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Trustee

The PS3 will always whisper: "Play with me!" And we're not talking blue-ray here. Worse, it might inspire the same in your clients!
Old December 12th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Major Player

same here; i bought one for the office as a Blu Ray player to show clients, it looked childish to me. worse, it led to everyone playing games on it instead of working; after a missed deadline, coincidentally the same night as some big game release, i lost my temper and trashed it, replacing it with a cheaper BD player.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I came close to pulling the trigger on the PS3 this weekend, but I put the safety back on. I will probably go with quality Blueray player.
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If you play a lot of Java games on your Blu-rays, a PS3 actually has better pop-up menu and game performance compared to other set-top players.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Well, it's done

I went out and bought the ps3. I like it. Now I'm trying to figure out the best file type to store on it. I would like to store a lot of my videos on it.
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #8
Trustee

You stepped over to the dark side!

So, what games did you get?
Old January 16th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I didn't get any games. I went with the biggest hard drive though. I have a WII and have a lot of money in it. Who knows, sell the WII? hehe.
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It plays games?
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
I bought my PS3 to act as a BD player a few years ago when it was cheaper than a regular player. It's really a miraculous machine, but today there are many BD players that can play a wide variety of formats, the way a PS3 does.

There should be a good variety of refurbed BD players at the Sony Online Outlet or Outlet Store (if you have one near you) that should do the trick. On the other hand, if the PS3 still plays a wider variety of formats than the BD players you've seen, I'd think that would be the way to go.
Hey Adam, do you store your video files on your ps3, and if you do, what format are you using?
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:27 AM   #12
Inner Circle

When BD-Rs were $20 each, I rendered everything to m2t and burned as data files to DVDs, then copied to the PS3s internal HDD. Still have about a half-dozen sports videos on the machine. Note that while data files can be copied to the internal drive, movie files can't.
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Yeah

I have thumb drive that I can send them over one at a time, but I may format one of my little hard drives to fat32 and do it that way.
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Re: Bluray player vs playstation

I bought a PS3 as my bluray player about a year ago. In addition to the bluray playback feature, I use it heavily for streaming purposes (NAS to TV).

I bought the cheap Nyko remote control for mine. This allows me to show clients BR discs without having to operate it with a game controller. Clients still know it's a PS3, but if they don't see a game controller, it appears more "serious".

IMO, the PS3 also does a bang up job of upconverting DVDs.

And I do play the occasional game on it. Would be a shame to waste all those resources...right?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media