Software for On-Line secure photo gallery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 4th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Software for On-Line secure photo gallery

I am looking for software that will let me make a secure photo gallery on my site. Currently I use Aperture 3.1.1 which makes a nice photo gallery but is not secure so I watermark each picture.

I have read that Flash 10 offers secure photo gallery.

What software are people using that has a secure (no copying or pulling stills) gallery?
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

After checking on line it looks like Flash Slide Show Box is the way to go unless someone has a better options?
HTML & Flash slideshow gallery templates | Slideshow Box
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If you are concerned about people copying your photos then don't put them on the Web. There is no such thing as a secure slide show. If it can be displayed in a browser on someones computer then it can be copied.

Avoid Flash as you will be excluding all those viewing your photos on the iPhone and iPad.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your input. I am putting my stills up on my site for a lot of different reasons. Right now they are up and have a watermark.

I talked with Flash Photo Box tech yesterday and his said it is secure and can not be copied or pulled from the site.

Nigel you make a great point about Flash not working with iphone and iPad. I did not know this was the case until I just checked it out. Thanks this is important.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; January 5th, 2011 at 07:10 AM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
I talked with Flash Photo Box tech yesterday and his said it is secure and can not be copied or pulled from the site.
That's simply not true. You can do things to deter the casual non-technical copier but anyone who really wants to can copy anything that appears in a browser whether it's a photo or a video. The best way to establish your ownership is to watermark. I don't know what photos you will be uploading but the other way of protecting yourself is not to make your pictures available in the highest resolution so that if someone wants one they have to contact you & pay for it.
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
That's simply not true. You can do things to deter the casual non-technical copier but anyone who really wants to can copy anything that appears in a browser whether it's a photo or a video
Absolutely true. $99 per year is not such a big deal to pay for a digital watermark, especially for a professional.

Edit. I mean that I agree with Nigel about nothing being 100% secure on the internet.

Last edited by Ilya Mamonov; January 5th, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Ilya Mamonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Mamonov View Post
Absolutely true. $99 per year is not such a big deal to pay for a digital watermark, especially for a professional.
If someone wants it bad enough, nothing is secure...

And that grab is good enough to blow up to 8x10. Once it is online, it is never fully 100% secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Software for On-Line secure photo gallery-grab.jpg  
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Inner Circle

OK guess there is no way to protect the image except to watermark and keep it low res.

Ilya not sure what you mean by "$99 per year is not such a big deal to pay for a digital watermark, especially for a professional."? I do watermark my photos and videos with my current software that has not been the discussion.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; January 5th, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

If you've never heard about digital watermarking you can learn about it more here: https://www.digimarc.com/DigimarcForImages/ But again this is not 100 bulletproof. Nothing is
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks Ilya I have not heard of the digital watermarking where you can track your photos. Very interesting I will look into it.

Do you use this software?
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Yes, I started using it not too long ago. It's actually comes with Photoshop (located under Filters) so it can easily be integrated into your workflow.

Last edited by Ilya Mamonov; January 7th, 2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: change
Old January 8th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #12
Inner Circle

If your image file gets downloaded the digital watermark will be preserved even if the resolution gets changed or other manipulation is done to the image. However a simple screen grab will not copy the hidden steganographic watermark so you will also need to add a visible watermark.
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Thanks for helping me out with this Ilya, I will give this a go. I don't use Photoshop for editing my stills I use Aperture but I will make sure the workflow is easy first.

Agree Nigel I will also put a watermark on the picture.

Now we need a digital watermark to follow our on-line videos?
Old January 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

You should register all images (and i"m guessing video too) with the Library of Congress for $45. The ideal is to send them a CD with your entire Web site every 90 days if you are adding images routinely.

As NIgel correctly says, if it's on the web it can be stolen. With the latest PS it's a piece of cake to remove watermarks and crop. Your images are 880px × 587px. Making them smaller with a max of about 500 or less on the longest side will make them less desireable for stealing.

Beautiful web site and images Paul!

Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Thanks for your thoughts Doug.

Library of Congress for my site is in the works and going in Monday. I had my attorney look at it first since I have 4 copyrights and 2 patents that she has helped me with in the past.

It is a pain in the butt all of the people stealing off of sights. I had someone at my New Years party say it is not big deal, I told them what I thought and they won't be invited back. It is a new mine set that if you can see it or hear it you can use it. We need a few good law firms who are willing to jump on this and start making examples of people who are caught and get the laws changed so they are STRICT. But for now all we can do is watermark in the middle of the picture and on the video with registered copyright.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media