64bit OS and color at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old August 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Inner Circle

64bit OS and color

Does anyone know if going to 64bit Windows will finally allow for 64bit color on the desktop? (As in I can actually see 16bit per channel color on my monitor) I know LCD displays would have to catch up, but it would be nice to not have to dither colors down to view them.

Believe it or not, Intel has supported integer based 64bit color processing since they introduced the Pentium MMX.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow, thats interesting. i hope someone knows.
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #3
Trustee

I don't think so, at least not for the two most popular images types. Not sure about video. Graphic card manufacturers would have a ball with this one. I also think Micro$oft would be screaming that feature from their office windows by now.

JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group)
Best Output: Universally legible; viewable by all web browsers and image-editing programs
Compression & Color: Lossy; 8-bit grayscale, up to 24-bit color
Comments: Highly compressed images may contain ugly "artifacts." Used by most digital cameras.

GIF (Graphics Interchange Format)
Best Output: Web; viewable by all current web browsers
Compression & Color: Lossy; up to 256 colors
Comments: Best for icons and thumbnails; retains transparency; can be animated.

TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
Best Output: Great for print; use it when best quality is required; not supported by web browsers
Compression & Color: Can be lossless; supports RGB, CMYK, LAB, and more; up to 64-bit color!
Comments: Super flexible; can contain multiple images but beware of ballooning file sizes.
Old August 13th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

jpeg2000 supports lossless compression. Also PNG and MNG both support 64bit color with lossless and lossy algorithms. Both support 16bit alpha channels. There are also proprietary graphics formats. What I'm talking about is the ability to actually view 64bit color, not a dithered down version of the image. There was hope that Matrox would give everyone true 40bit, bit you only get 2bit alpha when viewing images at 10bit resolution.

If I remember right, SGI Iris workstations offered true 64bit years ago, Don't know if they are still around. There is a movement in the Linux comunity to support 16bit per channel color on their desktop environments. Apple could have, but for some reason refused to do so. (Many Apple users have been requesting that feature for a long long time).

The graphics card makers can easily support it, they've stated in the past they could go all the way up to 256bit (64bit per channel).

Just wondering what's the hold up.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #5
Trustee

Economical Politics...?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media