Need Help with optura tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Skyonic New York

Need Help with optura tapes

First let me apologize as i have no idea where to put this thread

I recently started editing a job that was shot on many different cameras... i have been logging the tapes into my editor using a dvx100B...

my problem started when all the tapes shot with an canon optura wont play back audio, i dont have access to the camera just the tapes, the other tapes shot with sony and jvc cameras played back fine on my dvx...

the audio either is not there or it comes in with pops and scratches... problem is the owner of the optura called me and says his tapes play back fine

has anyone run into this before...

Thank You in advance...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Ahh the joys of tape!
Sounds like the optura camera heads were enough out of alignment to cause the problem. Of course if the tape is played back on the same out of alighnment heads that recorded it, it'll play fine.
Ran into this with a pair of Sony V1u's
Tapes could only be played on the camera they were recorded on.
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Skyonic New York

interesting ... so buying another optura may not help the issue.... augh
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Wrangler

Hey Robert, good to see you! Been awhile.

I had this happen years ago. Took the tape to a guy with a higher-end Sony tape deck and it played back fine. Can't remember the model but (at the time) it was about a $2000 deck--too much to buy for one job, but maybe you can find someone nearby who can help you out. I noticed there's a deck for sale here on DVinfo for $950. If you're going to be doing this kind of thing for people for awhile it might be worth checking it out.
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Skyonic New York

thanks Linda ... what is the name of the deck that will/may playback these tapes?
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Wrangler

I don't remember but it was probably a Sony DSR-11. They're still going for a fair amount of money used and then, as you noted, it's not guaranteed that it will play it. I paid the guy at the video house to capture the tape for me, but that may not be an option for you.
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Skyonic New York

Follow Up:

ups arrived today bought a used optura 50 off ebay, threw in the first tape and same problem no audio... i was pissed.. but not surprised...

had lunch went back to the studio and decided to hook up the camera to the edit bay and pop in a few more tapes... well they all worked strangely enough,

thought maybe im going crazy, i tried them out in my deck and no audio again, back in the optura, everything works...

ok so i tried out the original tape, that didnt work, i thought for sure thats not going to work, guess what it worked...

im not sure what happened, but im happy...

thanks for all the good vibes, and i hope this thread may help someone one day, just not sure how
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media