Garfunkel and Oates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Wrangler

Garfunkel and Oates

Well, I'll start by trying to make this relevant to the forum. Just wrapped a week shooting webisodes for HBO for the musical comedy group Garfunkel and Oates. I used two 1DMKIV's with Tokina zooms and a set of Zeiss ZE's. Had a three ton G/E truck, used mostly tungsten, some Kino's, Zylights and Literibbon tape and panels (my newest weapon, extremely handy).

Blah blah blah. Much more interesting than that is the group themselves. Kate Micucci and Riki Lindhome are actresses/musicians who have built a solid following for G&O via Youtube videos in the last few years--they have been on the Tonight Show several times and tour a bit. The webisodes are just the beginning at HBO, they have a pilot in the works and assuming the series goes, should become as well-known as Flight of the Conchords.

I mention all of this because I am a big fan of these two and their work; I find them utterly charming and hilarious. They have many videos on Youtube, just search under their name--perhaps start with the "official" videos: "I Don't Understand Job", "Weed Card", "This Party Took a Turn for the Douche". And then download their songs from iTunes, but be warned that these songs can easily stick in your brain and refuse to come out!

I firmly believe they are poised to hit the bigtime and hopefully I'll be along with them on the ride. So check them out, and later you can tell people you were into them before they became famous. Note that quite a few of the videos have NSFW language--nothing too radical in this day and age but a few f-bombs here and there, often at surprising times.

I'll link to the webisodes when they emerge.
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Garfunkel and Oates

Looking forward to it -- thanks, Chas!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What an awesome opportunity to get to work with them! They are indeed HILARIOUS. Kate Migucci was also on scrubs for a while and played Ted's ukelele playing girlfriend, Gooch (sp...?). She was so funny in all her episodes. It was either season 7 or 8, I think...
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Wrangler

Update...

The webisodes are complete and HBO, I'm told, is very happy with them--however there are no immediate plans for their release, since HBO doesn't have an existing webisode site (we suspect HBO GO). However the good news is that work on the TV pilot has moved forward as a result, so that will be the real win.

Meanwhile the gals asked me to host and shoot their latest "couch video" as they had outgrown the low-tech style of the previous ones (such as can be seen in the "suggestions" column next to the player at link below) . I was honored to do so as the couch videos are what brought these two to where they are today--Riki tells me that they are the only comedians working at their level who didn't start their careers onstage, they built their brand largely on the internet. So it was fun to offer my couch to them!

Without much time to prepare I simply miked them overall with a 416, certainly not ideal but hope to do better next time. Guy Cochran at DVeStore had recommended the Rode NT4 stereo mike which I have since purchased with his help and I look forward to seeing how it will work out (I plan to mike the instruments separately).

I Don't Know Who You Are by Garfunkel and Oates - YouTube

p.s. after sending so many people to watch their videos, I made up a simple page of links: bit.ly/garfoates
Old September 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ha great stuff Charles, the gals not only look pretty and write and perform very clever stuff, their names click somewhere too ..

now if I could only work out where that is :)

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media