Directed by Alan Smithee? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 21st, 2002, 08:26 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Directed by ???

I just found out something interesting...anyone know the significance of "Alan Smithee"?
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes i do,

It is when a director refuses to put his name to a piece of work, OR well this is the same thing, but sometimes a cut version of a movie will not have the directors name as they feel it is not their movie, but the uncut version will have the directors name, so they use that name kinda like john d.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:48 AM   #3

Good on ya, Kermie!

I also heard that there are a few more names used by studios now...since "Alan Smithee" is becoming known as a sign of production problems. I don't know the other names...anyone?
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Umm yeah i have heard a few more.

There is Elane Smithee (female version).
John Smith, Peter Smith and George Lucas.

These names usually mean the movie will be a complete stinker, either by being poorly made or bad production problems.

Ohh it is also a common fact that when a producer or exec producer gets the final front line credit after the director, he/she (director) has been fired before the movie was finished, or not allowed to sit in with the editing and the producer has supervised that.

kermie
Old November 21st, 2002, 10:49 AM   #5
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Kermie Klien : Umm yeah i have heard a few more.

There is Elane Smithee (female version).
John Smith, Peter Smith and George Lucas.

kermie -->>>

BWAAAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
lol :)
Good shot at Lucas, Kermie!
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 01:23 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

Anyone see a movie called "Burn, Hollywood Burn?" It was a mockumentary about the REAL Alan Smithee, and involved him stealing his movie or something. It was really quite crapulent.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 05:54 PM   #7

There's also a new Alan Smithee parody movie coming out soon with Jackie Chan, Sylvester Stallone, and Whoopi Goldberg.
Old November 21st, 2002, 06:16 PM   #8
Major Player

I thought that every Steven Segal production was an Alan Smithee movie...
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 11:48 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

John Locke,

That was it! What do you mean coming out soon? That was out like three or more years ago. I rented it.
Old November 22nd, 2002, 12:30 AM   #10

Three years ago! Geez..you gotta be kidding! Movies don't get to Japan very quickly from the States. "Star Wars - Episode Two" just came out here...and "Serendipity" is just now starting. And a lot of non-blockbuster movies just never make it.

Someday, when I return to the States, I'll have to lock myself in a cabin with a VCR for a couple of months and just catch up on all the great movies (a cabin next to a Blockbuster).
Old November 22nd, 2002, 12:45 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Someday, when I return to the States, I'll have to lock myself in a cabin with a VCR for a couple of months and just catch up on all the great movies (a cabin next to a Blockbuster).
Make that DVD player and home theatre :)

kermie
Old November 22nd, 2002, 01:21 AM   #12

Okay...but then you have to amend that to
Quote:
Someday, when I return to the States, and knock over a few gas stations and convenience stores, I'll have to lock myself in a cabin with a DVD player and my new home theater for a couple of months and just catch up on all the great movies (DVDs delivered by Amazon).
Sheesh...it'll be so expensive moving back, I'll be lucky to have electricity.
Old November 22nd, 2002, 01:37 AM   #13
Slash Rules!

Oopsy. Was not aiming for disrespect. . .the Japan part of your mini-profile did not reveal itself to my eyes. My bad. Yeah, it's old. It's bad too. I heard it was voted worst movie of the year somewhere or other. Maybe it was bad cause I couldn't follow the "plot?"
Old November 22nd, 2002, 02:31 AM   #14

No worries, Josh. I can't imagine how many films I've missed out on in my seven years in Korea and going on one year in Japan. Korea tends to get U.S. movies within 3 months or so, but they only like blockbusters...and then all of those tend to be action movies. They're not much for "Remains of the Day" as a culture.

Also, the movies I have seen have been cut to pieces. I knew a guy in Korea who was one of the official censors. I asked him what criteria they use in editing films. He said that "upper" nudity was okay for women, but no "lower" nudity for either, all violence is okay, but that they also tended to cut out the "boring parts" of films. I asked him what they consider to be "boring." He said "You know...where people talk too much...or when there are things that Koreans don't understand or like from a cultural standpoint." Egads! I've already seen a couple of movies in Japan that I saw earlier in Korea and have noticed entirely new scenes. The Korean version of "Pulp Fiction" supposedly had 40 minutes cut out of it...just because it dealt with so many cultural taboos.

I also remember going to the theater with a friend to see "Up Close and Personal." There's one scene where Redford is telling Pfeiffer that he was married before and had a baby that died within a few days. At that point, the whole audience laughed. I was shocked! I asked my friend what they had written in the translation. She said it said something along the lines of "I can't hold on to my women." She figures they did that because the audiences there wouldn't want to hear about both a divorce and a baby dying.

Finally, one thing that irked me royally was how, at the movie theaters, they would simply turn off the projector with the last frame of the movie. They rarely showed the credits.

So, to make a long story short...I've missed out on a lot as far as movies go...which is too bad since I'm a movie fanatic.

Feel lucky for the freedom of choice and expression there. Too many Americans take that for granted.

*This public service announcement was brought to you by RVRC (Recent Victims of a Repressive Culture)
Old November 22nd, 2002, 07:47 AM   #15
Major Player

I find that amazing about the disection of movies in Korea/Japan. Having chunks cut out of movies because 'its boring' is just hard to fathom in a modern society, but I suppose if it happens there, it could happen elsewhere also.

So if you were to see a 'full' flick in Korea without censorship - would that be considered 'illegal' or an underground movie? I like action movies just as much as the next person, but to leave in violent scenes and cut away/revise scenes such as you described (the baby dying and a divorce), doesn't seem logical, but hey - it's their country!

I will not take for granted watching movies here again! Even with the babies crying, the cell phones ringing, people talking to the screens, walking in ten minutes into the picture, etc. - but at least we still show the credits!!!

Good luck!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media