DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Insane steadicam shot. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/505204-insane-steadicam-shot.html)

Andy Graham February 12th, 2012 08:05 AM

Insane steadicam shot.

I found this wandering through youtube, the quality is terrible but i thought it was worth sharing just because its an amazing bit of steadicam work.

The Most Ridiculously Awesome Steadicam Shot Ever - YouTube

Charles Papert February 13th, 2012 01:19 PM

Re: Insane steadicam shot.

Yes, that's an impressive physical feat, and extremely bold for live TV. The hands-free Segways continue to grow in popularity as a Steadicam platform. I tried them a couple times but it wasn't something I wasn't interested in. There's been a few minor accidents with them already ( Cameraman Segway Crash - YouTube) but I fear the day when someone really hurts themselves or someone else with one.

Andy Graham February 13th, 2012 01:32 PM

Yeah its only a matter of time before someone gets hurt properly. Good thing they have that quick release strap...i heard they fitted that strap cause an operator fell into water and couldn't get it off....although that is most likely steadicam ghost stories.

Charles Papert February 13th, 2012 01:39 PM

Well, actually the Segways are designed to work either hard or soft mount, with the operator wearing the rig (if he needs to step off like in this clip) or with the rig mounted to a post on the Segway, so he doesn't have to bear the weight. And only a few of the vests have quick-releases on them; most don't.

The only time I had to get out of the rig quickly was when I accidentally swallowed a meatball while chowing down a sandwich between takes, and the medic had to give me the Heimlich maneuver! Everyone was trying to unbuckle the vest but I got it off myself more efficiently.

Don Bloom February 13th, 2012 02:36 PM

Meatballs can be very dangerous. ;-)

Charles Papert February 13th, 2012 02:38 PM

who knew?!

Chris Medico February 13th, 2012 02:48 PM

Its the little things that get ya.

Bruce Watson February 13th, 2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1714980)
Meatballs can be very dangerous. ;-)

Indeed, eating animal products of any kind, including meat, is dangerous. If only it didn't taste so darn good. Sigh... And yes, it's true, I haven't had any meat since December! And this thread isn't helping my resolve. :-(

Evan Bourcier June 21st, 2012 01:19 PM

How does one operate the hands-free segways? I feel like the way I understand a regular segway to be controlled would make the hands-free ones very difficult.

Charles Papert June 21st, 2012 06:21 PM

I only played with it a few times myself at trade shows and whatnot. You simply lean in whatever direction you want the unit to drive; forward, backward, sideways (steering). Pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it. I have quite a few colleagues who have mastered it.