Anyone know Dreamweaver? I need help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 12th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Anyone know Dreamweaver? I need help

I created a full website, but I didn't layer my buttons (Home, About, Works, Links), all in Photoshop. I imported the image/website into Dreamweaver and now it's not letting me hyperlink. I drew a layer around the buttons and when I click on the hyperlink option, it's putting the link at the top of the page, not where the layer around the text/button. What am I doing wrong?

heath
Old September 12th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

Link the button graphics themselves, not the layer unless there is a specific reason why you are assigning an href to a layer. You can put an href around any graphic or text so there is no reason to make a separate layer.
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

It's all part of one image--I screwed up. I'm doing hot spots and linking them now. But when I put the cursor/mouse over a link, it doesn't change color. Anyway I can fix that?

Thanks,

heath
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Trustee

For my workflow I usually do the page layout/graphics and slicing of the layout in Adobe Photoshop/ImageReady. I export the individual slices from Photoshop/ImageReady and then import them into my Web design software. I believe it is probably the most efficient way to work, especially when dealing with rollovers (explained below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
But when I put the cursor/mouse over a link, it doesn't change color.
If it is an image used as a link that you are referring to, then what you want is a rollover. A rollover has one image for the "Normal" state, and another for the "Hover" state of the link (I believe it can possibly have other states as well, though I've never used them). This allows you to change any aspect of the graphic for the different states of the image link.

The ImageReady program bundled with Photoshop is designed specifically for creating Web graphics, including rollovers. (ImageReady is probably the best kept secret of Photoshop.) Open your layout in Photoshop, then click the button at the bottom of the tools pallet, or go to (on the Mac) Photoshop>Jump To>ImageReady (or on the PC) File>Jump To>ImageReady. Viola! ImageReady will launch, and your image will be loaded, and you can start creating rollovers. You can jump back and forth between Photoshop and ImageReady, and your changes will automatically be transferred between the programs.

Photoshop/ImageReady allow you to generate a HTML page of your layout when exporting slices. You can choose a table based layout (HTML tables) or a CSS based layout. I don't know how good/bad the CSS layout Photoshop/ImageReady generates is, but I definitely do not recommend using the HTML tables option. The HTML tables generated tend to be rather complex, and generally a nightmare to make any changes to. They are pretty much only good as a guide in building the final layout in your Web design program.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #5
Air China Pilot

I agree entirely with what you said and I work the same way.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media