Mac - "Codec Not Supported" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 23rd, 2002, 11:35 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mac - "Codec Not Supported"

Jeff, Ken...any other Mac gurus...

Seems lately I've been getting a lot more of those "Codec Not Supported" error messages when I try to watch films at iFilm or AtomFilms or other sites...when I select the Windows Media option (in cases where QT isn't available). Usually, the video plays, but there's no audio.

Any idea what's up with that? I have the newest version MS Office for Mac...including the newest updates.
Old November 23rd, 2002, 11:55 PM   #2
Warden

Try this http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=14738&db=mac If it can't play it good luck finding something that will. In my opinion it's the best universal player for the things QT just won't play.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2002, 12:54 AM   #3

Thanks, Jeff. I'll check it out. One thing puzzles me, though. At sites like iFilm and AtomFilms, they don't give you a choice to use any players other than what they offer themselves...usually RealPlayer (gag) and Windows Media...and if we're lucky, QuickTime, too.

So, this program wouldn't be able to help with those situations.
Old November 24th, 2002, 01:51 AM   #4

John,
Can you point me to a clip that produces this problem for you? I'll see if the same happens to me.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2002, 02:07 AM   #5

Ken,

Except for the "Exclusive Video" at the top left corner of the page, all the other videos on the page have no audio for me.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...gerstreet.html

(I'm selecting Windows Media Player and the 300kbps setting)
Old November 24th, 2002, 06:26 PM   #6

Yup, I get the same nastygram. MS's Windows Media Player must have zigged but they've left us Mac folks behind. There also doesn't seem to be any way to locate or install the missing codec. It's too bad that Macs are still such an afterthought, if they're considered at all, by such sites. It's costing them viewership.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old November 24th, 2002, 07:01 PM   #7

Thanks for checking it out, Ken. Looks like a waiting game now for Microsoft to update the Mac media player.
Old November 24th, 2002, 07:12 PM   #8
Warden

I bet it's Microsoft's new format. MS isn't doing MPEG4, but rather have their own format. A plug in (3rd party) should be out by the end of the year. If I see one come available I'll post a note about it.

Jeff
Old November 25th, 2002, 07:35 PM   #9
Warden

John,

I just stumbled across this http://www.macintouch.com/divx01.html I've not even read it yet, but it might shed some light on your dilemma.

Jeff
Old November 25th, 2002, 08:40 PM   #10

It never occurred to me that these might be encoded in DIVX, although that's becoming a popular codec. Thanks Jeff!

Old December 3rd, 2002, 07:47 AM   #11
Warden

Here's a follow up to getting Divx and AVI files to play on a mac OS X http://www.macintouch.com/divx01.html#dec02 It also has links to the freeware talked about in the articles.

Jeff
Old December 14th, 2002, 06:08 PM   #12
Major Player

I have noticed the same problems. I used to go to Atomfilms before they changed the format and joined up with Shockwave. You used to be able to pick your player on most stuff but now it's all different. I think the problem is with the new Windows media player. I have tried to watch some films that I watched a long time ago and now they won't play on my Mac. I am still running an OLD version of WMP on my PC and it works on most stuff.
I REFUSE to install anything from REAL! It is really a shame that the new triggerstreet.com (if you don't know about this, you should) is heavily sponsered by Realcrapworks because most of the videos there are in Real format.
I have been toying with the idea of setting up a website for aspiring filmmakers and such and using ONLY the Quicktime format with compression standards similar to Apples own Quicktime site. Let me know if you think this is desirable, because I am looking at how to make it "AD FREE" which is another annoyance I have with the other sites.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2002, 06:22 PM   #13

Rhett,

If you can pull that off...I'll make a little temple and burn incense in your honor every day. I'd love to see an ad-free, QT site.
Old December 15th, 2002, 01:30 AM   #14
Major Player

Hey there, loved the Trailer to Shadow. The film was good too, nice ending.
I am looking at a couple of options for the web site and some other things I am working on to help pay for it. My view is that most of the movies that have come out in the last couple of years have been rehashed crap. Well why pay to go to a theatre and watch crap while making the greedy/wasteful/controling studios even richer when you can watch crappy (and many times quite good) movies and shorts either at home or work or in a local establishment, and help future filmmakers get some practice and exposure. I don't do this stuff to get rich, I do it because I love doing it, and I hope to at least entertain someone occasionally.
I want to make a place that is Advertising free, for everyone to come and share experiences and enjoy themselves without being harassed with spam and pop-ups and without having to sign their life and film rights away. I want to even see if I can do it without having any registration requirments, but that might not happen. It isn't entirely up to me, I am trying to work with some people at some pretty big companies for help (sorry I can't say who yet) but they are people "we" know and love.
I can't say start buying incense now, but I appreciate the thought.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media