Indoor Television Antennas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 24th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Indoor Television Antennas

I'm interested in hearing from those who have actually purchased and are using indoor television antennas. I know where one lives can affect the quality of an indoor antenna, but if anyone has success or failure stories I would like to hear what television antenna you liked or didn't like.

Also, is channel surfing pointless with indoor television antennas because one needs to constantly readjust the antenna?
Alessandro Machi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Indoor Television Antennas

Still using my Radio Shack analogue cheapy. It works. No problem channel surfing. Enjoy the secondary and "thirdary" (?) channels especially.
What I wish for is a digital amplifier/distribution amp. The industry doesn't produce one though.
Henry Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Kenyon View Post
Still using my Radio Shack analogue cheapy. It works. No problem channel surfing. Enjoy the secondary and "thirdary" (?) channels especially.
What I wish for is a digital amplifier/distribution amp. The industry doesn't produce one though.
ITYM 'tertiary'

Not sure what you mean by a ' digital amplifier/distribution amp.'. Assuming the 8VSB modulation system used for ATSC terrestrial broadcasting in the US can be amplified in the same way as OFDM signals used with DVB in most of the rest of the world, the (analogue) RF will pass through good quality amplifiers fine.
Here is a typical domestic aerial amplifier available in the UK:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/mo...cpc/438841.xml

It is available fitted with 'F-type' plugs, so should connect into US antenna and TV hardware without adaptors.

To prevent overload of the amplifier's front end, the antenna input signal level should not be higher than specified, which is normal good practice anyway and unlikely to arise when an indoor array is used. I am not aware of any other issues with analogue RF signals carrying digital TV broadcasts.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

" ITYM 'tertiary' "

Thanks
Henry Kenyon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media