Alternative to Facebook at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 21st, 2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Trustee

Alternative to Facebook

I need an alternative to Facebook for the fan page of my next movie. any suggestions?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Alternative to Facebook

My question to you is why do you need an alternative? Is it your own personal preference or anti-Facebook stance, or does it logistically not fit your needs?

I suppose your best & most popular option is Youtube. Possibly a Vimeo page, but that typically isn't much. Otherwise create a Wordpress or Tumblr site for it, requiring some basic web design skills but typically less popular & not as easy for fans to like or comment on. Other than that tho, I doubt any similar social media site matches the ease and commenting/friending/likes features FB offers, along with the popularity. Unless you try a Google Plus or Myspace page to collect dust.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Twitter would be the obvious choice, although it wouldn't really be a fan page as such. I'm not on there myself, but from what I know, there does seem to be a lot more interaction on there than there is on Facebook, particularly between artists and fans. But since they're both free, I don't see why you would ignore either. For a start, you can have anything you type on Twitter appear straight on Facebook if you want. But yeah, Twitter is the only service that's in the same league as Facebook in terms of number of users and the whole retweet thing is designed for people to share things quickly.
Joe Piechura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks. I pretty much figured on Youtube and possibly Twitter. I just absolutely hate Facebook and it's a personal choice to not be a part of that website. Looks like Youtube is going to be my best bet.
Old December 26th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

A Squarespace page could be a good alternative for a splash page for any bonus content. It has a great WYSIWYG editor and you can really design it via drag and drop to make it look like a professional site.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:40 PM   #6
Trustee

Facebook like it or not has exponential reach possibility, you won't get that with your own website or even twitter or youtube for that matter.

Maybe its just time to learn to like it, or perhaps hire a student to get it setup for you and even maintain or run it for you?

Lastly there are also API's so you don't even have to go to the fan page yourself to add to it, you could have posts from your own website or blog feed Facebook directly ;)

If any of that interests you let me know, I do some web development here and there and it is something I can help you with.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media