Tell me, tech-savvy people, can the Raspberry Pi somehow be used as a video i/o box? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

Tell me, tech-savvy people, can the Raspberry Pi somehow be used as a video i/o box?

Read about this just now:

Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!

Long story short, it's a credit-card sized, $25, Linux-based, fully programmable PC with USB ports and some kind of video connection, among other things.

Wondering if there's any way someone (I know squat about programming) could use this as a video i/o box like Matrox, AJA etc., to get NTSC compliant video signal out of NLE or After Effects etc. to a HD monitor.

My prediction: No. For some reason.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Tell me, tech-savvy people, can the Raspberry Pi somehow be used as a video i/o b

Interesting little "toy", the video is either via composite or HDMI, I'm not sure what you'd use as an input... perhaps some USB dongle... Since it's Linux, I'd expect a lot of possible options might be available for file playback.

I never really got into the nuts and bolts of programming, but as far as a cheap computer goes, this obviously has potential... poked around the site, and see there's a possible Android port.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Tell me, tech-savvy people, can the Raspberry Pi somehow be used as a video i/o b

Your best bet for video output is a live H.264 stream into the Raspberry Pi (but it will be delayed)

The bandwidth requirements for uncompressed video may be too great for the machine. Compressed video can be decoded accelerated with the onboard GPU.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

You're probably going to tell me I don't want to grade/color correct compressed video, right?

Shoot, most of the time I could get by looking at still frames for grading purposes, as long as they're color accurate.
Old December 24th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You could do low frame rate Uncompressed if you can feed the data into the Pi via something like Ethernet. You still gotta write drivers to output your Windows or Mac based AE/Premiere output to stream to the Pi.
Old December 24th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

My...um ...hope was that someone ELSE would do all that and i woulld buy it from them. Or buy the code. Or however it works.
Old December 24th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

In the open source community, there is no such thing as buying code. It's adapting/improving on publicly available code.
Old December 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

Ah. Well...then hopefully some programming-savvy person with a passion for color correction comes along and makes it happen. Unfortunately that guy aint me.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media