Why 1080 50p and not 25p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Why 1080 50p and not 25p

Hi All
Forgive me for my confusion, but i often come across statements that the holy grail in shooting video (in PAL land) is 1080 50p
Why should this be?
I would have thought that 1080 25p would be the ideal choice,
Is there a valid reason other than for slo mo, why you would want to shoot 50p and not 25p if your final delivery is to be played back at 25p????

Hope this is a long thread!

Andreas

Ministry of Video - video design, production and editing company based in london
Andreas Andreou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Why 1080 50p and not 25p

I guess it's because some people don't like shooting interlace. I'm not sure about where they plan to use it, since broadcast is transmitted interlace, but progressive does have advantages in special effects work. 50P has better temporal resolution than 25p, good for those people who shoot sports etc, (broadcasters use interlace) it really depends on the "look" you want apart from soap operas, dramas tend to shoot 25p.

In the longer term broadcast might go 1080 50p, although I wouldn't hold my breath over it, 4k and 8k are now being discussed..
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Why 1080 50p and not 25p

4K broadcast is looking like defaulting to 60p.

Doug can come in and say all the reasons why interlace is terrible and why everyone in US broadcast reality production is switching to 1080p 30p.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media