R.I.P. Tommy Tycho at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 7th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Inner Circle

R.I.P. Tommy Tycho

Tommy Tycho Aussie musical genius.

Musical genius Tommy Tycho has died - ABC Sydney - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

What a career and one of the stories I like, was when he was musical director for Radio 2CH, Wed. afternoon orchestral concert broadcasts
from the Sydney Opera House. There were various guest artists and one afternoon, the vocalist was baritone Kamahl.
For his first song, the big orchestra with Tom conducting, started with his flowery opening, then paused while Kamahl walked out onstage
arms spread holding his Caftan open, and at the mic he sang the first line ... in the wrong key!

Horrified, Tommy cringed, closed his eyes and gave the downbeat to the players.

Without dropping a note, they all started .. instantly transposing their written parts to Kamahls key and he sang the whole song right through
while they accompanied him in this wrong key.

Apparently Kamahl and most of the audience weren't any the wiser and later Tommy went around the band congratulating each member.
You can't beat the old pros.

Cheers.
Old April 14th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: R.I.P. Tommy Tycho

I also very muchly liked what he did. Now you know how old I am.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media