Local news not showing time anymore? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 12th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Local news not showing time anymore?

The local Fox affiliate in Philadelphia recently redid their studio, upgrade, new graphics etc. One thing I quickly noticed, they no longer display the current time in the bottom corner, at all. It's just 29 & myfoxphilly.com underneath. Before it continuously displayed the time & temperature. Not having the temp I get, as with smartphones now we can all find the weather, plus its kinda absurd to think we need to know how hot/cold out it is outside while we're inside watching the news. But I find it odd they no longer have the time displayed. My guess is being an hourlong broadcast after 10:15 most people realize they've already missed the big stuff, or seen it, so it just reminds them there's nothing big for another 30 minutes till sports and they potentially changed the channel. Unless its a complete oversight & mistake, which I doubt, I wonder if some sort of market research found its better nowadays to not show the time. Any thoughts?
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Local news not showing time anymore?

The cynic in me suggests that they might not want people to realise the time and then think of switching over to another channel.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #3
Trustee

I just assumed it was because, while picking up their smartphone to see the weather, they will see the time right there on their phone.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Or they are looking at the time and thinking "Holy Cow it's 10:15 I need to get to bed!"
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media