For Christmas 2014 I bought for myself .... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 27th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

For Christmas 2014 I bought for myself ....

Finally after all these years I got around to buying a BluRay player. Got it on special for only $80. It doesn't do as much as the other players, but it plays BluRay discs for sure.

And you?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: For Christmas 2014 I bought for myself ....

I bought my first one last year because they were so cheap. Funny thing is I have yet to play a blu-ray on it. I use it to stream Netflix and play DVDs.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

I grabbed the Guardians of the Galaxy Blu-Ray disc as it was also on special (so that I would have something to play).

The thing that was most disturbing to me is that, in doing so, I had just paid more to watch the movie again than I paid to see it the first time. Now I am left with a disc taking up space on a shelf.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Well, the more times you watch the BD movie, the better of a deal it is, eventually break even :)

I jumped the gun and bought the Toshiba HD player, just before BluRay won the war. Now have both.

For Christmas, I got myself a VHS-DVD combo machine, Canon 6D and 16-35mm 2.8L II lens. Thought I had the ultra-wide angle range covered since I got a Tokina 11-16 years ago, but that lens seems to only be usable on FF camera when its at 16mm end of range, so more like a prime.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 04:38 AM   #5
Major Player

And it's such a shame Adobe has ditched Encore :'(
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Austinite

How about "borrowed"? I left the office with e Sony A7s and Atomos Shogun... I take it ba ck tomorrow, Monday... :)
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:12 PM   #7
Trustee

Phil,

With your inventory you chose a A7s to borrow? I thought I could think of something sarcastic and funny to say but I can't because maybe "I get it". I don't get out my good stuff to shoot my kids opening presents or blowing out candles, I use my phone! I have too many years with a camera on my shoulder, it's work. An A7s would be perfect for the 25th of December ;)

Steve

Edit: But, when your first Sony PXW-FS7 arrives I will be happy to borrow it and write a review.
Old January 20th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Following a tour to China in 2012 we made a DVD & a BluRay version, shot on a Sony NX30e, edited in Edius & authored in Encore, the difference in quality between th 2 versions was amazing, especially the night time shots in Shanghai on the river! There hasn`t been the massive sea change toward BluRay in the same way as from VHS to DVD but still worth the purchase!
Barry Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Bluray is dying. I do have one in my bedroom, but watched a ton more DVDs on it than Blurays.

I offer my clients Bluray at the same price as DVD and invariably get the "just get me a DVD" answer.
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #10
Austinite

Yeah... can you ever get enough 4k video of your kids...
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
I bought my first one last year because they were so cheap. Funny thing is I have yet to play a blu-ray on it. I use it to stream Netflix and play DVDs.
The only blu-ray I made a point of buying was the "Planet Earth" collection. That is excellent. My player came in my PS3, though for a while we also had a stand alone that could do streaming. Now Amazon's Fire Stick rendered that obsolete.

For Christmas (or later, actually, to treat myself), I got a 3dR Iris+ Drone and GoPro Hero4 Black. A new laptop. That's a lot for me.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media