And this shows exactly how far from reality people are when hiring people for video - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 11th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #31
Slash Rules!

Re: And this shows exactly how far from reality people are when hiring people for vid

handful of legit jobs over the last 13 years for me via CL. reality may be what was stated above, but in that case gear prices need to fall drastically (even MORE drastically) to make it viable for anyone to make a living that way.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #32
Trustee

Re: And this shows exactly how far from reality people are when hiring people for vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
My current largest client, who four years later books enough business to almost double my circa-2008 full time salary, was secured by responding to a Craigslist posting.

I used to comb through rolls of half dollars and quarters looking for the odd pre-'64 silver coin... there might be an analogy there.
True... I once shot a 'celebration of life' after first turning it down. The subject of the celebration was the CEO of a fairly large company. Said company needed some video work shortly after, and called me. They have been a great and regular client for over 5 years now.

And my now largest client started with a very small job. So go figure...

I guess when we pan for gold (or silver quarters), we just have to figure out which are the best rivers to stand in.
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #33
Slash Rules!

I have not had one of those success stories. My two "regulars" are people I met through my more legit freelance work, all my cheapos and freebies never panned out to anything.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:18 AM   #34
Major Player

I dunno, I think being are being hard on the OP. In theory, were taxed on our wages. So $100 is $70 real dollars. Of the $70, at least $10 would be spent on gas, so it's making $60. Shooting 3 90 minute games = 5 hours time at least being there (probably more like 6 but I'll throw them a bone) as there are likely breaks between games, plus showing up minimum 15 minutes early to setup & be sure you're there in case traffic etc.. So 5 hours @ $60 = $12hr just for shooting.

Then factor in editing (WTF) the highlights, granted simple editing but 3 seperate games would be a PITA. I'd put that at 2 hours. Then exporting & uploading1 hour. And anyone who's done jobs remotely similar to this knows there's an extra hour of BS in there somewhere, so it's up to 10 hours time.

10 hours $60 = $6 hour??

No thanks. Sure maybe a high school or college kid may take this on looking for gas or beer money.... but they'll quickly learn it really wasn't that well worth their time.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #35
Trustee

Someone will do this job, at that price. When you look at who many cameras have been sold, and how many NLE systems are in use, - well, it's inevitable that someone will do it. Maybe a kid still living in his parents basement, attending youtube university (not that there's anything wrong with that).

What's sadder, working for 6 bucks an hour, or paying $50,000 to go to film school to make 6 bucks an hour.

Technology has made Video production a commodity. While we rant about making cameras cheaper, we are lowering the barriers of entry for our competition. Lots of competition... It's all good, because the other side of that equation is that every company now looks at shooting promotional videos, and cheap bandwidth has allowed everyone to play. But these companies want pro's, not joe's... to represent their brand. That's where we come in.
Old February 13th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #36
Slash Rules!

I think the saying is "water finds its own level."

Chances are, the people who work for this little are really not very experienced/good --though I suppose it's possible a pro could fall on hard times/become really desperate-- but I would think for the most part people working for this little are very new to the industry or just not that good and have never earned "professional" rates, etc. and so think this is normal. You know there are CLIENTS who turn people down when they come in too low on a quote 'cause it sets off red flags to the client that this vendor may have no idea what they're doing, right????

Likewise, chances are clients who pay rates like this, while expecting something not to be TERRIBLE, are not expecting Hollywood-level cinematography/production values. Again, I'm sure occasionally they are, but those things will self-correct after one or two shoots and they'll realize money offered = skill level found.

Pros who command higher rates will simply ignore gigs like this and clients with very low budgets will likely not try to hire those folks anyway. So the low budget people and the high budget people on both the client and the vendor side will find each other, basically, one occasionally crossing over into the other, and harmony will continue in the universe. Dig?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media