DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Is there such a thing?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/530330-there-such-thing.html)

Bill Kubiak November 12th, 2015 05:19 PM

Is there such a thing??

I have thousands of family snapshots mostly of things that happened years and years ago, Is there such a thing as a machine that you can just feed the photos into and it will copy them to something digital and run the photo right back out sort of a roller thing where you can feed them in one right after the other.

I have an HP all in one and it is very time consuming and laborious to copy all the pictures one at a time

There must be something that will do it quickly and make a great copy of each print

My thought was to get all the prints on a dvd or cd and send then to all the family so everyone can enjoy the pictures

Vince Pachiano November 12th, 2015 07:55 PM

Re: Is there such a thing??

Get yourself a table that you can set near your Couch/Computer, etc.
Each night, while you are (watching TV, Reading a Book, Surfing the Web), resolve to scan 50 photos.

It took a lifetime to accumulate thousands of photos, so what if it takes 100 days to scan them.
Start tonight, you'll be finished by March 1st

Mike Watson November 12th, 2015 10:30 PM

Try ScanCafe or DigMyPics. There are also local places that specialize in this, if you support local businesses.

Bill Kubiak November 13th, 2015 01:32 PM

I checked with office max, and staples and a local camera shop, the best deal I could come up with was 25 cents a photo and that was me using their equipment and scanning to an SD card. Cannot afford that

I also went to about 3 different big box stores and two camera stores and 1 computer store (tiger direct) and no one seems to sell a dedicated photo scan unit anymore, and when I ask I get that deer in the headlight look

I have been on eBay and looking at Pass Through photo scanners and I see some models by Kodak all under 100 dollars, they are the P 460, P 461, P 570, and P 811 what is the diff between them, I even saw some video of the 460 on you tube and they look promising, any comments

Mike Watson November 13th, 2015 03:26 PM

Scan cafe is $0.22/photo. For a thousand photos, that'd be $220. I realize it's double what the $100 photo scanner would cost, but still seems within reason of "affordable" for someone who is considering spending $100 on a photo scanner.

Outside of that, I agree with Vince. Put the scanner on the couch, put on a movie, and blast through 100 a night. You'll be done in a couple of weeks. Goes pretty fast once you get the scanner setup and your auto-cutout workflow in PS.

Bill Kubiak November 13th, 2015 04:14 PM

Just missed out on one on eBay, it went for 42.00 I was watching the news on the TV about all that stuff in Paris and forgot about the auction until it was too late

Bill Kubiak November 14th, 2015 03:29 PM

Have just been reading about another portable auto feed photo scanner called the, PANDIGITAL it is also pretty cool

Does anyone have any info on any of these small photos scanners

Bill Kubiak November 15th, 2015 10:00 AM

Just bought a Kodak P-570 photo scanner on eBay, It will scan photos at either 300 or 600 DPI and scan about one every 10 seconds or less depending on the DPI setting

Someone on another site suggested the lower settings for all those old photos because they were low quality to start with and I do not want to see every grain of dust, scratch and fingerprints etc by using the 600 DPI setting

This machine will scan up to a 5 by 7 photo

Bill Kubiak November 19th, 2015 07:27 AM

I have the Kodak 570 scanner and it works great, and does a nice clear job of scanning in both 300 and 600 DPI and putting the photos on an SD card.
here is my new issue
When I insert the card in my apple iMac with OS X I get an icon of the card
I click on the card and get a small menu, the one selection the instruction says to click on is Photo1
I do that and I get a list of the photo's by number starting with EK0001 and so on
I click on one and a photo pops up about 2/3's of the screen and very clear
My problem is I do not seem to be able to do anything with it
I photo in my Mac has been replaced by a new program called Photos
When I right click on a picture I get a choice of things to do, one of them is send it to Photos, when I click on that nothing happens except a screen flash, however I can send them to insert into an email, or Facebook or other places.
I have looked all over Photos but I cannot find the pictures

What to do at this point is my question?

Jim Michael November 19th, 2015 09:23 AM

This would work. It's $70. They claim 4800 dpi but that's probably overkill. After you're done sell it on CL and maybe get half of that back.

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Perfecti...=epson+scanner

Gang multiple images on the bed and scan them. Then split apart in photo editing software. There should be a free image editing package like GIMP you can use if you don't have a commercial package. Good luck.

Bill Kubiak November 19th, 2015 10:25 AM

I don't need a scanner just got one what I need is info and help with the scanned pictures

FYI anyone needed a small portable auto feed scanner, there are dozens of them on eBay, I bought the Kodak P 570 and in the owners manual it starts that for upgrades and other stuff , go to the Pandigital website/kodaksupport of course they are out of business.
my advice for anyone looking for a small scanner get the pandigital models, that are brand new old stock on eBay

I can do 10-15 images a minute on the one I have almost as fast as I can get them in there.

Jim Marby March 20th, 2017 02:00 PM

I'm late on posting this reply but if you're still in need of a fast photo scanner check out this video of a new Epson high speed scanner. It's pricey, in the $600 range, but it looks to be just what you're looking for.

Jim Andrada July 2nd, 2017 01:23 AM

Can you try any non-Apple system? Apple does some strange things at times..