Motion Graphics course? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 21st, 2017, 10:10 AM   #1
Trustee

Motion Graphics course?

Hi guys,

Motion Graphics is on demand here in Brazil and I'd really like to get into it. Here in Rio de Janeiro (where I live) I was not able to find much and "the best one" is almost 100% After Effects based and it costs us$500 for a 4 month course where once a week you view pre-recorded classes online, you're assigned projects and you have a video conference with a teacher (this is the class's reel
). I think that if I'm going to pay us$500 for this kind of teaching I can get something with a simlilar workflow but way better in the US or Europe, from a more prestigious institution.
Anyone care to suggest something in these lines?
Old February 22nd, 2017, 12:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Motion Graphics course?

I am by far experienced in After Effects. But to me that looks mainly basic effects. If I were you I would follow the free tutorials found in VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals Or if you want to pay go to https://www.lynda.com/ If possible use a dual monitor setup one for videocopliot and the other for After Effects. But the trick is to adjust with your own ideas. For me "not easy" that's why I say I'm inexperienced.
I am sure more learned friend here will give better advice.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:40 AM   #3
Trustee

The “Motion 5” application can be really useful once one figures out how to use it. What was once exclusive to fancy Hollywood video graphics can now be done on one’s personal computer. Unfortunately, learning a new application is not easy.

One route is to sign up for a course like you want to do; however, a slower and less expensive route to consider is to use a couple training books and teach yourself, but as they say, "different strokes for different folks.”

A while back Sabyasachi Patra asked the same question - don’t know if you found his thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cu...tutorials.html

My thought with going it alone was it takes time for stuff to sink in (mentally). Taking notes and referring to on-line videos is one way to keep moving along. The downside to on-line videos is many are for earlier versions of Motion and as updates come along things change and can become confusing. The same is also true for books. The one book I used [“Motion 5, Designing and animating Motion Graphics” © 2012 (I think when “5” was released) by Mark Spencer] was for the first version of Motion so while updates have changed things it is still has been useful.

The book “How to Cheat in Motion” by Patrick Sheffield is excellent to get the creative juices flowing. Out of print but a low mileage used one would work just as well.

Here is a Motion 5 Workspace drawing I posted back in Version 2 that helped me to keep track of the terminology:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cu...e-drawing.html
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 06:27 AM   #4
Trustee

Any suggestions on an online course with a teacher and video conferences?
Old February 27th, 2017, 08:33 AM   #5
Major Player

fxphd.com might be more of what you're looking for. Sorta realtime class work.

Udemy.com is a good choice similar to lynda.com. Cheap prices and some classes have Q&A sections.
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media