Why is Vimeo so slooooowwww? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 6th, 2018, 12:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Why is Vimeo so slooooowwww?

Does YouTube use proprietary software to make their videos download and play at a reasonable speed? Why is every other video hosting service, including Vimeo, so freaking slow?? Seems like Vimeo, which charges for use, ought be putting some of that money into making their videos fast enough to be watchable.
Old December 6th, 2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Why is Vimeo so slooooowwww?

Always been that way for me. Vimeo for quality but YouTube for speed in loading. I used to think it was my internet provider but I have a really fast connection now.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Why is Vimeo so slooooowwww?

Could be various factors, based on my limited coding knowledge tho YT might implement a preBuffer(); type function where linked URLs of thumbnails on a results page begin to load in the background, so that when you get to the video page it's already begun loading. Otherwise maybe their servers have a better adaptive bitrate formula to start off a slower bitrate until it determines the proper bitrate. Otherwise maybe just better/faster & more servers altogether, with mirrored ones throughout the country.

Google has enough money to send cars out to photograph streetmaps of almost every block in all larger cities throughout the nation. So yeah, they have more money to invest than Vimeo:)
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media