UHD HDR broadcast from Wimbledon. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 15th, 2019, 10:43 AM   #1
Major Player

UHD HDR broadcast from Wimbledon.

The BBC managed to put out UHD HLG video from the Centre Court over this year's Wimbledon championship as part of its ongoing trials. I'm not a big fan but I thought that I'd have a look yesterday.
The resolution was clearly better than FHD but not up to other on-line UHD. It also looked like 25p which with a white tennis ball against a (fading) green grass court, didn't give very smooth motion. Maybe the shutter angle was unnecessarily small.
Has anybody else here seen the broadcasts?
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UHD HDR broadcast from Wimbledon.

I'm always very impressed with the UHD I see in the studios, but getting that into people's homes is tricky without fibre end to end. The studio pictures we capture are remarkable. I don't think many of my colleagues are impressed with the current delivery. To be honest, even Sony admit their domestic kit cannot display the pictures their studio kit produces.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2019, 01:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've been dipping into the UHD tests on iPlayer from time to time and the quality has been good but not on a par with the Formula 1 UHD transmissions from Sky. But watching the Wimbledon tests I noticed that the image was fairly flat and dim, so I put together a picture profile on my Panasonic TV that really brought the images to life. And once I set it to Rec 2020 the colour fidelity was incredibly life-like, especially the crowd closeups which were like looking through a window.

But as Steve pointed out, what really lets it down is the poor resolution of motion. The transmission is supposedly 50p but it definitely was not, nor was it 25p but seemed to be something in between - you could almost count the still images as players juddered across the court.. I'm guessing that iPlayer drops the frame rate if you don't have the bandwidth, but I'm sure I've got more than enough for UHD 50p. Or maybe iPlayer still need a bit of tweaking.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2019, 02:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Neal View Post
I've been dipping into the UHD tests on iPlayer from time to time and the quality has been good but not on a par with the Formula 1 UHD transmissions from Sky. But watching the Wimbledon tests I noticed that the image was fairly flat and dim, so I put together a picture profile on my Panasonic TV that really brought the images to life. And once I set it to Rec 2020 the colour fidelity was incredibly life-like, especially the crowd closeups which were like looking through a window.

But as Steve pointed out, what really lets it down is the poor resolution of motion. The transmission is supposedly 50p but it definitely was not, nor was it 25p but seemed to be something in between - you could almost count the still images as players juddered across the court.. I'm guessing that iPlayer drops the frame rate if you don't have the bandwidth, but I'm sure I've got more than enough for UHD 50p. Or maybe iPlayer still need a bit of tweaking.
Well I have a BT Infinity FTTC connection and it normally gets about 58Mb/s down and just under 10Mb/s up. The other iPlayer tests seem OK but they are presumably streaming from a video server file, which would allow the end users' experiences to have been tested before going public.
That leads me to suspect the the realtime compression needs finessing.
Interesting that you mentioned the flat image. I hadn't thought of changing from REC 709 to 2020, (I have a Panasonic DX750 so it should make an improvement).
I have had problems with the Panasonic's iPlayer over the last 3 years and now always run it on the Beta version so I'll give it another go whilst the Wimbledon stuff is still there.
Steve Game is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media