Snowboarding Skiing Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 19th, 2002, 10:34 PM   #16
Skyonic New York

who to send the cuts to...i could certainly provide server room to upload everyones stream, and host the project, i can stream all clips, and keep a log of who sent what ...this sounds like a great project even without profit

anyone who wants to take this further e-mail me skyonic@aol.com, i'm going to look for snow in vermont (killington, mount snow, and maybe even jay peak) for the next week and half but will be back jan 2 to answer any and all emails...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 07:36 AM   #17
Trustee

Ken,
My wife and I are planning to hire a Maui van and spend a couple of weeks driving around the different hills. I want to take her to the Canterbury club fields, Porter Heights, Cragieburn etc, then we'll head down to Wanaka and then back to Mt Potts for a few days cat boarding on the way back to Christchurch. Hopefully it will be good season, Nz can be fickle, it's either going off or everyone is going home.

As to Skyonic's question, I'll be happy to cut everyones footage together and create a final master with titles, credits, colour correction etc. As I said in the other thread NTSC DV would be the best format as it's better to convert PAL down to NTSC than convert NTSC up to PAL.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 10:22 AM   #18
Wrangler

Yep, NTSC DV should be the way to go.
Adrian, if you have the time and can make the "final cut" that would be great. I'd volunteer, but knowing my luck, the tape would catch fire in my DV deck or camera.

So who do we look to for distribution? I think this is going to be a novel idea, we should look for someone with major coverage.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 12:53 PM   #19
Major Player

FTP server

As mentioned above, we need to setup a place to send our footage.

I would suggest a FTP server that we could bounce in and out of when needed. I would host, but I don't have enough monthly bandwidth via my home cable modem, to support multiple transfers of this size.
Old December 20th, 2002, 09:41 PM   #20
New Boot

I've got the picture now and I'm pumped! This is getting way cool! Especially nice would be if someone out there who is good at promotion could snag some interest from a sponsor or two... perhaps the ones who sponsor this list! Or ski sites or whatever. I've never actually heard of such a communal project (though it's probably been done one way or another) and it certainly fits the DVi 'COMMUNITY' theme.

As far as quality goes, it would probably be best to each edit the local segment, then copy it back to miniDV and send the actual tape snail mail to the final assembly editor. Especially if the final product ends up on tape, as well as streamed to cyberspace. Whaddya think? Should everyone title their own segments or would the assembler do that with written instructions (this would give a certain continuity, but on the other hand, the sheer discontinuity might be cool).

This is looking good, a kind of ski/board tour of the world that could not have happened without the internet. IMHO, this kind of thing is the true potential of the internet. How many different countries can we get? I count Japan (twice), Canada (multiple), US (multiple), others?

Anyway, let's get the video happening. Oh, is there any way to ensure that everyone who contributes gets proper credit and, with luck, a share of whatever gains come from it? Given the organic nature of this project, I hate to sound too business-like, but perhaps it's a good idea to have some kind of agreement?? I'd be happy to write something up, though I'd bow to anyone who has any experience.

To Adrian,
Great if you could do the final assembly! Sounds like you are hitting some great spots in NZ. I wanted to go to Craigieburn, but didn't make it. Oh, by the way, they have opened our local hill (Kanazawa Seymour) to boarders this year. We had an awesome opening day last weekend with face shots on every turn. But with all the boarders, it got skied out real fast. Looking at the hill on paper it looks small and uninteresting. But when it gets snow, it is one of the best hills I've skied in Japan, albeit short runs and short season. Off piste is great in January/February.

Merry Christmas to all. I'm off to the powder fields of Hokkaido tomorrow. See ya all in the New Year with stories of snorkel cams.

Ken
Ken Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 01:10 AM   #21
Wrangler

Everyone would edit their own footage and have complete control of their own segment. I like the idea of the individuality of each segment showing through.
It would certainly be interesting to try and get sponsorship, but before people will generaly put money into it, they will probably want some assurance that it will be distributed. This means locking down a distributor, which will probably be hard to do without something to show.
Who has experience with distribution?

We would have to have a finalized agreement for how any profit is split. Shouldn't be too hard to agree on, since I think most of us are in this for the fun of it.

I agree, sending material from one person to the next is probably best done by snail mail and DV tapes.
Old December 22nd, 2002, 02:27 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Mt Fuji boardin

Adrian,
I used to snowboard Mt. Fuji 3,4 years ago.. we would go to the shin-5go parking, and just climb an hour or so from there to find huge natural quarter pipes. And the terrain up there is so good up there. Really good stuff if you're fit for the climb. I didn't know it was prohibitted to go up there, i didn't see anyone up there.. but you would DEFINITELY get better footage up there than the resorts below.
12ed
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 04:41 AM   #23
Trustee

As far as titling, each person could do their own or I can do it in After Effects. I think that maintaining consistentancy in the titling will make it look more professional. Credit wise, I was thinking that each clip should have the shooter's, the rider/s', and the band's names as well as full credit and information in the final credits.

Ken's idea of an agreemant of some form is a good one. I think porfits, if any, hsould be divided up evenly between everyone who contributes a clip. By clip I mean a 3-5 minute clip including music, I don't want to hear people bitching about "my clip was 5 mins and his was only 3 so I should get more money". This is about having some fun combining what what we enjoy, if that's not your deal then thanks but no thanks.

I'm quite happy to put together some kind of website so everyone can keep upto date with what is going on as this is going to going to be a faily long term project. The site could contain everyone who is contrubiting as well as any news.

Distribution wise, Dylan, rock on down to Westbeach or some of the other snowboardshops in Vancouver and have a chat to those guys. See if you can find out who might be a good distributer. Here in Japan the main guys seem to be Champion Visions and in Australia/NZ, they've got Aerial Distribution.
Old December 22nd, 2002, 04:45 AM   #24
Trustee

12ed,

bro, if your keen to do a session, I'm more than happy to do some hiking. Should be able to hook up some guys to huck themselves into the breeze. Might even lay down a few myself. Maybe Ken would be interested in coming to?
Old December 22nd, 2002, 08:24 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
As far as titling, each person could do their own or I can do it in After Effects. I think that maintaining consistentancy in the titling will make it look more professional. Credit wise, I was thinking that each clip should have the shooter's, the rider/s', and the band's names as well as full credit and information in the final credits.
Yeah, I think everybody should submit their edit clip with no titles but provide sufficient information for ones to be made by the final assembly editor, so you get that consistency.
Old December 22nd, 2002, 11:03 PM   #26
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Taylor : Yeah, I think everybody should submit their edit clip with no titles but provide sufficient information for ones to be made by the final assembly editor, so you get that consistency. -->>>

Seems to be people are liking this idea. It's OK by me.

I'm going to see if I can get some distributor's names from the local ride shops. Once we have some tangible material, we can start contacting them and hopefully get it picked up.

Another thing we can do, is once we get a website up (which requires a little discussion) we should be able to contact whichever hills we are planning on shooting, tell them what we are doing, let them check out the website, and hopefully get free lift passes out of them for us and some riders.
Old December 22nd, 2002, 11:34 PM   #27
Trustee

Dylan,

That's what I had in mind when I said I would put a site together. One thing though, I think we should do all the decision making through the boards so everyone can see what is involved. The website can be for a background on what we are doing as well as keeping everyone up to date on final decisions etc.

Anyone with site ideas please post them.
Old December 26th, 2002, 07:33 PM   #28
Wrangler

I think we'd want a basic outline of the project, a list of everyone involved and where they are shooting, along with status of their project.
A little section to interest distributors.
A little section ski hills can check out on us so they can hok us up with passes would be nice.
Those are the easy ones, any other thoughts?
Old December 28th, 2002, 07:26 AM   #29
Trustee

Just got back from three days in Nagano but unfortunately didn't get any footage...because it didn't stop snowing!!!!!! We had 150cm/4 feet of dry Japanese pow. The only thing I shot was us digging the car out the night before we left.
Old January 8th, 2003, 03:15 AM   #30
New Boot

Same for me in Hokkaido. Snow, snow, snow, no video. But I have plenty of good footage from previous years and hope to add more locally as the weather cooperates.

Ken
Ken Barnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media