David Lynch...DV's filmmakers dream come true... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #16
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,063
DUNE is an amazing film in many ways, easily the most romantic science fiction film ever made.

BLUE VELVET and ELEPHANT MAN are probably his best films. Both are provocative and touch on what it means to be 'normal.' ANd it made Dennis Hopper famous again - that's gotta count for something! :)

ERASERHEAD, is well, ERASERHEAD. It is probably the last of the great midnight movies. If it seems super weird, it's suppossed to. Great, trippy flick with amazing use of editing and sound effects (much like original THX 1138).

I'll watch anything he does at least once. Neat to see he's using a video camera.

jdv
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Howard
Lynch... Crappy... Sure...

While his movies are not for everyone, they are far from 'crappy.'

Hmmm... Please... where can we find your works so we might all compare them?
C'mon.. Show us how a real 'master' does it...

On more serious fronts. I'm going to the Pasadena showing on Friday.
If it's good as I'm guessing it will be... I won't have ANY excuses anymore for not working. Dang!
I laugh at that myself - this guy is a total troll moderator on another forum and really gets on a lot of people's nerves with his arrogance despite the fact he has minimal training and no experience and just bought a DV cam in 2003 LOL.

Anyway, if you want a laugh, a film of his is at...

http://www.outlandpictures.com/movies/Luper.mov
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #18
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent
DUNE is an amazing film in many ways, easily the most romantic science fiction film ever made.

BLUE VELVET and ELEPHANT MAN are probably his best films. Both are provocative and touch on what it means to be 'normal.' ANd it made Dennis Hopper famous again - that's gotta count for something! :)

ERASERHEAD, is well, ERASERHEAD. It is probably the last of the great midnight movies. If it seems super weird, it's suppossed to. Great, trippy flick with amazing use of editing and sound effects (much like original THX 1138).

I'll watch anything he does at least once. Neat to see he's using a video camera.

jdv
Straight Story also good
and I don't care what anyone says - Mulholland Drive kicks ass - initially I hated the first 90 minutes, but it takes skill to make you go back and appreciate the movie as a whole after watching the last half hour.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #19
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hanna
Anyway, if you want a laugh, a film of his is at...

http://www.outlandpictures.com/movies/Luper.mov
Ouch.

If Inland Empire comes out half as good as I expect it will after being shot with a PD150, I will be sticking to the camera I have and just working 3 times as hard. Heh.
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #20
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Howard
Ouch.

If Inland Empire comes out half as good as I expect it will after being shot with a PD150, I will be sticking to the camera I have and just working 3 times as hard. Heh.
Is it released yet - I can't find any concrete info other than it was supposed to be out in December sometime - can't wait.

Interesting he chose the pd150 over a z1u.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #21
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 157
It is a limited release coming out tomorrow. Check http://www.inlandempirecinema.com/ to see if there are showings in your area.

I think he chose the PD150 for two reasons:
1) The PD150 is famous for its low light capabilities.
2) He had some of them from shooting parts of Mulholland Drive and his Playstation 3 commercial.

I have an A1U, and if the filmout turns out as good as I suspect it will, I will not be upgrading my camera. In the Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick Two equation, I'm going for Good and Cheap...
Frank Howard is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:08 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network