DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Wow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/55381-wow.html)

Glenn Gipson December 2nd, 2005 08:23 AM

Wow

I was walking through A&P yesterday when I saw brand new DVD players selling for $28.00! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. They also had portable LCD DVD players for 99 bucks, and I could remember when these things were averaging 400 bucks. This really makes me realize that HDTV and HD DVDs have a LONG way to go (which is contrary to what I use to think.)

Boyd Ostroff December 2nd, 2005 09:36 AM

I see your point... however walk over to the photo counter and you can probably buy a disposable camera for $5. And on your way home you can get a full meal at McDonald's for $4. You get what you pay for...

Actually the $28 DVD players have been around for awhile... I bought an iBook for my daughter a year and a half ago and one of the "free gifts" that came with it was a cheap DVD player.

Dylan Couper December 2nd, 2005 10:47 AM

I'd rather have $300 DVD players and gas be back down to $1.10us a gallon...

Boyd Ostroff December 2nd, 2005 01:51 PM

Here in my part of New Jersey, gas has dropped to around $1.80/gal recently. This sort of boggles my mind since it got as high as $3.20 during the Katrina period...

Duane Smith December 2nd, 2005 04:00 PM

I bought a DVD player for someone as a gift LAST Christmas for $30 bucks....and they had been that cheap for months. The bottom-of-the-barrel DVD players have been in the $30-ish range for well over a year now. Heck, I stopped at a truck stop sometime last year and they had a $30 DVD players for sale. At a freakin' truck stop! LOL!

And about HDTVs getting cheaper: I've got a 34" HD CRT, and last Christmas they were selling for around $1400-to-$1500. This year, the exact same kind/sive of TVs are selling for $899-to-$999. That's a full THIRD off the price from a year ago--that's HUGE!

I'd say that give it another year and the bottom-end HDTVs are going to be very afforable.

:-)

Now if they can just get the Blu-Ray/HD DVD thing worked out....

Aanarav Sareen December 3rd, 2005 03:30 AM

Yea, the DVD players have been cheap for quite a while (bought my first DVD player for $40 :-) Surprisingly, these cheap DVD players are compatible with a lot more media than the really expensive ones.

K. Forman December 3rd, 2005 07:50 AM

Hey Glen- You guys still have A&P grocery stores? I haven't seen one of those in like 30 years!

Chris Hurd December 3rd, 2005 10:20 AM

This reminds me of Blade Runner in a way. It's the future coming true today. Not long from now, food will be a scarce resource, but there will be a scanning electron microscope on every street corner.

Lorinda Norton December 3rd, 2005 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
This reminds me of Blade Runner in a way. It's the future coming true today. Not long from now, food will be a scarce resource, but there will be a scanning electron microscope on every street corner.

Whoa! I didn't see Blade Runner, but as an old farm girl who has watched our farm ground be taken out of production for housing, I can sure relate. A big part of the winter activity around these parts has become scratching for ground to rent in order to grow our crops.

Sorry for the OT--your words just shocked me a bit, Chris. :)

Glenn Gipson December 4th, 2005 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Hey Glen- You guys still have A&P grocery stores? I haven't seen one of those in like 30 years!

Yeah, brand new ones too, they're really nice.

Boyd Ostroff December 6th, 2005 03:36 PM

I noticed they were selling DVD recorders today at WalMart for $70. That's what a VCR cost just a few years ago. I guess VHS is going to disappear altogether pretty soon...

K. Forman December 6th, 2005 04:15 PM

I used to like the Atlantic & Pacific stores, their prices were really good. It was another one of those chains that started in the 20's I think. Now, all you can find down here, are Wal Marts and CVS pharmacies. A&P closed it's doors down here at least 30 years ago, and I had assumed the chain went under. I guess they moved into the new age by selling electronics too?

Joe Carney December 6th, 2005 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Whoa! I didn't see Blade Runner, but as an old farm girl who has watched our farm ground be taken out of production for housing, I can sure relate. A big part of the winter activity around these parts has become scratching for ground to rent in order to grow our crops.

Sorry for the OT--your words just shocked me a bit, Chris. :)

My family up there are/were farmers. I remember when I could go to my late uncles house and not see anything for miles (at Meridian), now houses every where. He used to be a dairy farmer, and grew crops on leased and owned land. Disappearing fast. My cousin still farms though. Don't know for how long

Duane Smith December 7th, 2005 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I guess VHS is going to disappear altogether pretty soon...

You mean it hasn't already?

;-)

Boyd Ostroff December 8th, 2005 09:08 AM

Well it has for ME, but no it really hasn't disappeared. People still want VHS dubs of our performance videos. I think very few "average" Americans have DVD recorders in their homes at this point. But the change is coming...