The Tragedy of Canada - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 23rd, 2003, 04:59 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Cut, I've lived in Europe, the Middle East and all over the USA. As far as Cuban, then you didn't find the right restaurant. There is one here in Boca that is awesome.
I've eaten in and around countries all over the world, including Spain. I spent a day at Algeciras. Saw some great Roman ruins they recently uncovered. Food was soso, not bad, just soso.

Paris has nothing on New Orleans. French cooking is banal
compared to Creole (not to be confused with Cajun a subset of Creole). Though the French do make the best cheese. Yet French cooking is excellent in it's own right. If you like lots of butter on everything.

Italian food realy is best in Italy, though I've eaten in some
American restaraunts that come very close. Especiaaly in Chicago.

Chicago makes the best pizza, not the Italians. But Italian Pizza is outstanding.

Some of the best Turkish delicasies I've ever eaten were in the Shepards something or other area in London. Close to green park and the Ritz. sorry forgot the entire name.

America makes the best nuvo cuisine and Southwest dishes.

Fish and Chips in England are the best. Even at grungy lower class pubs. The beer, as far as I'm concerned, is better than German beer. Speckled Hen rules.

A full pig roasted for 24 to 36hrs in a true BBQ pit (the way it's done in many parts of the American South) is unequaled in tenderness and taste anywhere on earth. You don't usually find stuff like that in a restaraunt, mostly at large family get togethers and such. The pork literally melts in your mouth. They usually hire a professional to come in and cook it.

Canada has THE BEST BEEF in the world. period. Even better than Omaha brand steaks.

I orginally said one of the best Sea Food restaurants I never said the best, I don't believe there is a single best anything. You obvioulsy haven't eaten at Johnny Chins in a suburb of Chicago. Or go to just about any seafood restaraunt in New England.
I'll wager they will compete with anything in any country.

You've never been to New Orleans, or a little Mexican restaurant in Ft. Collins Colorado that is so good the Mexicans go there when vacationing in the US.

There are countless little back water places I'll never see, that make the best food in the world. But saying all America is nothing but banal fast food or poor copies of European food is inacurate to say the least.

Making blanket statements about food in any country is usually pointless anyway. Usually indicates other issues.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 05:39 PM   #77
CUT Productions

Joe,

You see this is the problem... a little bit of criticism (I was having a laugh dear boy - did you notice the :)) and some people get all defensive. I mentioned a couple of places, neither of which were British, and you lanch into a big pro American thing.

Of course blanket statements are pointless, but so is assuming anyone who dares to speak about America, or God forbid criticise it, is an 'outsider' who can't possibly know anything. If we were talking about literature or films then America shines thru for me, that's for sure. You should here what I constantly have to face in Europe, with the French, German, Italians and Spanish, when they talk about the UK - sadly they are mostly right too!

The point is your BBQ pig is the matanza of my wife's Spanish family etc. I'm sure both are the best in the world, but however good you say American food is, that does unfortunately remain a well-kept secret to the rest of the World and what we see as 'outsiders' is Macdonald's, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pizza Hut, Dunkin' Doughnuts etc.etc. So mate your down with us on the food thing!

By the way if you went to Algerciras, which is a s**t hole, then I would wager you were passing through Spain, in any case you must spend more than a day in the country next time - you will find food that is considerably better than so-so.

As I say I know British food is rubbish; weather too; lack of joy and passion etc. etc. so feel free to have a go.

You are 100% right about the Turkish food and Speckled hen - I miss that!

Regards :))
Old January 24th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #78
Inner Circle

I wasn't defensive, just pointing out everyone has different tastes. I've tasted genuine spanish cooking, some great, some bad. It really boils down to the individual. And yes, the best food in Amercia is a well kept secret from the rest of the world:).

I would love to go and spend time in Spain. I heard the southern part (east of Algeciras) is beautiful, with mountains down to the sea and nice people. BTW, most of what I know about Spain is from watching just about all of Pedro Amaldovars films. Been a big fan since Tie me up, Tie me Down.
So, I guess my viewpoint might be a little bit skewed. hehehe.

Algeciras is the main stopping point for new cruise ships coming out of Italian or French shipping yards at the end of their shake down cruise. They usually stop there to stock up on supplies and fuel before their first 'official' voyage. Kind of fun when the locals come down to check out the ships.
Got a rolling tour by Taxi of the town for 3 thousand pesetas.
It's definitely blue collar, but I didn't think it was a sh**hole.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media