Returning From the Mountains at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 6th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Returning From the Mountains

WARNING: VACATION FOOTAGE - Feel free to leave now.

Last week I got back from my first attempt at shooting while skiing and/or shooting skiiers while I stood still and tried not to slip and roll down the mountain. I can report one face plant in the snow for both myself and my PD150, the latter, protected by an EWA rain cape, came through with flying colors. The former ended up merely red in the face.

I was reminded that I am not a very good skiier and skiing with a camera is not a wonderful idea at my level of expertise. I did manage to make it down two green trails while shooting with my PD150, only to learn that while I didn't fall I also got completely unuseable footage.

In short - the armpitcam approach doesn't work. I held the camera under one arm with an attached monopod though the strap in my fanny pack, but had difficulty keeping my upper body oriented down the mountain. Unless I have a real need for footage of skiing during an earthquake, it is not stuff I plan on using.

My helmetcam footage came out better than I expected. Still a bit jerky but not terrible overall.

Two short clips:

Helmetcam (2minutes)
http://216.118.79.114/wphc.wmv

Terrain Park (1 minute)
http://216.118.79.114/wpterrain.wmv
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Not bad at all Rick. By the looks of the conditions I can see why you did so much filming. I didn't even get to pull my camera out as it was snowing the whole time I was away which meant big fat freshies to be ripped. Plus the light and sky were flat and grey.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Rick,
That was pretty good!. I don't know how you can feel secure skiing (sp?) with your PD-150 or even just shooting stationary like your second video. I know I wouldn't want to take my new GL2 on skiis. What's your secret? Great job!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2003, 12:50 AM   #4
Wrangler

We don't even have enough snow to make a terrain park. At least we didn't last week. I'm going riding again Thursday but won't likely be bringing my camera.

Footage from both of those look good. I'm impressed by the helmetcam footage!
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the kind comments. It is amazing what you can do with a little bit of sun and blue sky, especially on a reflective surface like snow.

I started with the PD150 in an EWA raincoat and shot until I got so anoyed that I took it off. I was having a hard time seeing where the camera was pointed or whether I had snow onthe lens.

The great thing about the 150 and my old VX1000 before it, is that they are both so damned rugged that I don't worry about knocking them around. Maybe I should, but so far they have both taken considerable abuse.

I was surprised how well some of my helmetcam shots turned out. I think that I had enough light to make it work. Next time I go skiing I want to try mounting the cam from a ski boot, see if I can get interesting shots from that perspective.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media