Pixel Corps. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 10th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Pixel Corps.

They've been around for awhile now. My question is; How many Dvinfo'ers are Pixel Corps members as well? And what has membership been like for you?

I've been a member for a few weeks now and am just getting my feet wet with the "team" approach to learning.

What say you?
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Major Player

I joind the PXC in Feb. '04.
At the time, I was basically doing some commerical/corporate DVD video production and effects on the side, working primarily in DV. The PixelCorps has totally changed that.

I worked extensively on the teams last year, handling effects on five different HD productions (2 shot on CineAlta F900, 2 on the F950 and one shot on 35mm film scanned to Cineon), working side-by-side with a number of industry pros from places like ILM, The Orphanage and Cinesite, learning LOADS of advanced techniques and software (Shake, C4D, XSI, MatchMover Pro, Boujou, etc.) not to mention beefed up my demo reel.

I recently applied to the Visual Effects Masters in Fine Arts program at the Academy of Art University, something I doubt I would have qualified for prior to my PXC experience. Based on my demo reel (all PixelCorps related projects) I was not only accepted ... they also waived my entire first semester.

So, yeah, it's been good for me.

I see you're from Richmond.
You might be interested to know that a friend of mine living about an hour from Richmond is also a PXC member. When he joined, he was doing motion graphics for local TV ads. Using the contacts he made in the PXC, he now does matte painting effects for shows like Alias and Lost .... working from home.

The author led training on the private forums lately has been pretty amazing.
Tim Dobbert was discussing matchmoving and Steve Wright covered compositing. Now Trish & Chris Meyer are going through their After Effects book and Katrin Eismann is leading Photoshop lessons.

I probably talk about the PXC too much actually.
It's to the point were I typically try to add a disclaimer that points out that I'm NOT PXC staff, but I am a very happy (therefore quite biased ;) ) member.

Not sure how many other members lurk these particular boards. Will be interesting to see if anyone else is here too.

Have fun.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media