Nominees reach new low at box office at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 28th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #1
Wrangler

Nominees reach new low at box office

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...7D&siteid=mktw

Quote:
If this past weekend's box-office numbers are any indication, Sunday's upcoming Academy Awards telecast could be one of the lowest rated ever. One critical reason: "Brokeback Mountain's" paltry $2.3 million take, placing it 14th on the box-office list for the Feb. 24-26 Friday-to-Sunday period.
That's the worst showing by a top-ranked Oscar nominee at this stage of the awards season over the last decade.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I've also read similar reports that this upcoming Oscar's ceremony could be one of the lowest-rated, primarily because many of the movies up for awards are smaller/independent in nature (Capote, Brokeback, etc) rather than what we saw the last few times (Lord of the Rings comes to mind).

Not sure about reading too much into Brokeback Mountain's take for that weekend though, considering as of March 2, the movie has grossed $76,391,758 domestic, $51,000,000 overseas, for a total of $127,391,758 on relatively fewer screens compared to other, larger budget movies. Budget was listed at $14,000,000.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:39 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

All the movies I really love have never been huge successes whereas there have been more movies than I can count that have made hundreds of millions of dollars and have been mediocre in my opinion. I'm not saying the Academy are suddenly becoming the mark of quality but the box office isn't either.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media