what would you adapt? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 20th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Major Player

what would you adapt?

We've heard about our embarrassing films, most bizzare scenes and CGI that makes us hurrell.

Now I ask what book would you adapt if you had carte blanche......with the colossal backing that is hollywood?

Books are the origional story tellers and we all have stories that are dear to our hearts.

For me It would be the "Rendesvous with Rama" quadrilogy by Arthur C Clarke. I'm not even sure it would be possible because it is such a large body of work. I mentioned on another thread about it but I reckon even the big boys gave up on it.

Anyway Feel free to add.....at the very least we will have good recommendations for books to read.

Andy.
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

With carte blanche I would do my best to make a miniseries of China Mieville's "Perdido St. Station".
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Myth Inc

Skeeve the Magnificient and his entourage. Guido, Nunzio, a Pervect not Pervert.

It's got wizardry, it's got sci-fi, it's got romance, and it's got comedy.

I think it would be a fun movie, not a blockbuster like Harry Potter, but still fun.

I wonder if the author is still writing books on this series.

Also, the elemental series by Pierce Anthony. Death, Father Time, War, The Devil, Mother Earth.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and Terry Goodkind's book of which both are very similar at first.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Funny you mention Piers Anthony. I've always thought the Xanth series (starting with "A Spell for Chameleon") would make an excellent anthology on film...much like the Lord of the Rings.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Edward,

I liked that Xanth series at first, but the more he does the series, the more it just seems to have degraded in quality. It's just too PUNishing to read.

Oh, David Drake's sci-fi and fantasy series should be great as well.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:43 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

A not too well known book, by a less known author, The Warhound and the World's Pain. http://www.iblist.com/book2223.htm
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

How about the Mars series by Edgar Rich Burroghs. Or the Shanarra series since Lord of the Rings did so well.
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM   #8
Air China Pilot

The Mars books are being bounced around already in Hollywood. Conran from "Sky Captain" and Robert Rodriguez have been named at various points.

As for Shannara, I consider those books so derivative of Tolkein I wonder how it would fly for audiences. Obviously, there is a huge market in fantasy books for derivative Tolkeinish novels. I loved Terry Brooks as a teenager.
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The Foundation and Empire books by Asimoz. I've always thought they would make a great mini series.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:08 AM   #10
Major Player

I'd like to have another try at Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five". The '70s version left much to be desired.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:04 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kang
I liked that Xanth series at first, but the more he does the series, the more it just seems to have degraded in quality. It's just too PUNishing to read.
I agree. I think if they started at "A Spell...." and finished out somewhere around "Castle Roogna," maybe to "Night Mare," but that'd be a stretch.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:19 AM   #12
Major Player

Also, since we're still relatively interested in fantasy films, Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain would make a nice addition. Disney did an adaptation of several of the books from this series when they released "The Black Cauldron" but it was a flop. I loved the entire series as a wee lad and would love to see more of it brought to life.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:02 PM   #13
Wrangler

J.R.R. Tolkien's Silmarillion
It would be an insane undertaking though, it's more epic than the Lord of the Rings.

William Gibson's Neuromancer
Though you could say it's already been done by the Matrix and many Japanese anime, so it might be a mute point.

I totally agree with the Xanth series, that would be a lot of fun to make.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:09 PM   #14
Air China Pilot

I picture the Silmarillion as more of a fake Discovery Channel / BBC documentary series much like "Walking with Dinosaurs". Like a "Walking in Middle-Earth". So selections of Silmarillion.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:45 PM   #15
Major Player

I Love Tolkien's work but I found the Silmarillion to be very hard going. I would love to see Peter Jackson make the hobbit although if he was going to he would have to do it before Ian holm gets too old.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media