Windows Vista Delayed Till 2007 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 21st, 2006, 07:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Windows Vista Delayed Till 2007

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...t_Windows.html

Hmmm..is this another opportunity for Apple Computer and the Macintosh?

[I remember laughing to myself when people stood in line at midnight to buy Windows 95.]

Still, I imagine Microsoft has a herculean task, overhauling their operating system completely. [Probably as about as "painful" as when Apple switched over to Mac OS X...]

And it's gonna be interesting when Vista finally launches.

I'm sure PC Makers are licking their chops waiting for those users that realize they need to upgrade or buy a new PC to run Vista.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu
Still, I imagine Microsoft has a herculean task, overhauling their operating system completely. [Probably as about as "painful" as when Apple switched over to Mac OS X...]
Not really, and that's the point. Apple went with a proven operating system... unix. Microsoft hasn't been able to get away from the "not invented here" mindset, and thus its current predicament....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:40 PM   #3
Wrangler

I don't think it matters a whit to the end users. The number of people who are going to decide to completely switch platforms because of a half-year's advance notice that an OS release is going to slip a few weeks or months is undoubtedly miniscule. After Vista is actually available, whenever that is, people who have eagerly awaited it will buy it. Mac'ers will keep doing their Macs.

But, if we wanted to brush up against the forbidden realm of platform, umm, "comparisons"...even Unix workstations in NASA's Mission Control can occasionally lock up. At this point, all the platforms are pretty darn good and not worth end users getting emotional about. Even though they do.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hopefully there'll be a Mac OS XI before Vista releases. I'm pretty tired of using PCs running Windows.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:12 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
Hopefully there'll be a Mac OS XI before Vista releases. I'm pretty tired of using PCs running Windows.

Well OSX is well good enough, you could switch now :)

I agree, noone, except for those on the edge of switching anyway will switch because of a small delay like this. One thing I think is a little surprising though, is the end user changes in Vista. I have yet to see anything remarkable (We have been looking at Betas for a long time where I work), after all this time.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:42 AM   #6
Wrangler

Microsoft's Slo-Mo Scramble

From BusinessWeek:

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/techno...323_582214.htm

Quote:
"They have totally lost their way," exclaims Michael Cusumano, a professor at Massachussetts Institute of Technology's Sloan School of Management. Some employees have lost patience, too. Mini-Microsoft, an anonymous insider, posted a blog item calling for heads to roll: "People need to be fired and moved out of Microsoft today. Where's the freakin' accountability?"
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #7
Major Player

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/27/te...oft.html?8hpib

The NYTimes has a good overview of Microsoft's challenges in bringing their next generation of Windows to market[and the delays] in today's paper.

Quote:

"And a crucial reason Microsoft holds more than 90 percent of the PC operating system market is that the company strains to make sure software and hardware that ran on previous versions of Windows will also work on the new one — compatibility, in computing terms.

As a result, each new version of Windows carries the baggage of its past. As Windows has grown, the technical challenge has become increasingly daunting. Several thousand engineers have labored to build and test Windows Vista, a sprawling, complex software construction project with 50 million lines of code, or more than 40 percent larger than Windows XP."

Good read.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media