Photoshop resolution (and forum?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Photoshop resolution (and forum?)

I'm trying to get comfy on my new Adobe Production Studio system and am noticing something in Photoshop. When I load up an image (typically a RAW from a Canon 10D) I can see aliasing/stairstepping in the image. But zooming in a little bit reveals that there is in fact resolution to the image, and the stuff prints out fine.
It's like the resolution of the (program that you pre-adjust raw files with) is better, because it looks fine. Are my eyes playing tricks on me? I went through the preferences trying to find some display option to fix this but to no avail. I'm viewing on a 20" Viewsonic LCD at around 1280x1024, IIRC.
Sorry for the newbiespeak, I'm still learning Photoshop.

Also is there a Photoshop forum here for such questions? Didn't know if this was OT enough for 'Still Crazy'...
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

uneven zoom

uneven zooming in photoshop causes this.

viewing an image at 16.5%, 33%, 66% etc. etc. will show ragged edges, 12.5, 25, 50, 100 etc. will not.

your image is fine, and will remain fine even if you change resolution/size/quality/whatever... this has something to do with the way photoshop displays the image at various zoom levels. to reiterate, the problem is at the display level only.

-raza
Raza Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #3
Major Player

That was the problem. Thanks for the tip Raza :}
Old April 15th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Warden

Only when the information is viewed at 100% do you have an exact representation of what the image will look like. At 100% one pixel on the screen is displaying on pixel from the image. Any other magnification will be the result of interpolation and will be prone to errors.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media