What do u call this?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old April 15th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What do u call this??

Hi,

What do you call that thing which is at the start of old cartoons/films, which is like a circular animation which countsdown from 5 (or 10?), and each number is revealed with a beep by a circular wipe? whats that called?! and is there a plugin for Vegas or Premiere which does it?

Thanks,

Josef
Josef Heks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #2
Trustee

I think it's called a 2pop.
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks, but are you sure? I coudnt find anything suggesting it was a 2pop when I searched "2pop" and "2 pop" on the web...maybe it has a more general name?
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #4
Trustee

I'm pretty sure, but yeah it's hard to google, unless you go something like "2 pop film countdown"

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-cen...ssary/t--2-pop

Aaron
Old April 15th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Trustee

Well, it's just an ordinary leader isn't it? (SMPTE probably)
They were even used in TV for allowing telecine machines to get up to speed - same as the VT clock, which you can still see these days, even though most playback decks will start almost instantaneously - so they're basically there as an ident.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

sounds like ur right indeed. thanks for the help. I ended up making my own using the "clock wipe" transition on Vegas...sounds like i did it a bit wrong though reading that desription!
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef Heks
Hi,

What do you call that thing which is at the start of old cartoons/films, which is like a circular animation which countsdown from 5 (or 10?), and each number is revealed with a beep by a circular wipe? whats that called?! and is there a plugin for Vegas or Premiere which does it?

Thanks,

Josef
It's called variously a "Universal Leader", "Academy Leader", or "SMPTE Leader." The "2-pop" is the blip at the 2 second mark. In Premiere Pro you can go to the project window, click the "New Item" button and select "universal counting leader" and it'll put a clip of one with the colours you want etc in the media pool. Don't find a preset one in Vegas but a quick google should turn up some for download if you don't have Premiere
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Or simply countdown leader
Phil Hover is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media