Video-capture for security systems at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Uniontown, PA
Posts: 7
Video-capture for security systems

Please bear with me as this may be a long post. I searched first, but didn't find anything related.

Here's my situation: My volunteer fire dept. had a security system installed some time ago. It's basically a 2-camera setup (which flips between cameras every 5 seconds or so) connected to a time-lapse VCR. The tape would record 24 hours worth, rewind the tape, and then re-record). Just recently, the time-lapse video recorder (VHS format) went. They want to replace the time-lapse VCR with some sort of DVR that can also burn a portion of footage to DVD if necessary.

At first, they purchased a DVD-Recorder, which could only record up to 6 or 8 hours of video at a time. This didn't suit our situation because someone would have to change DVDs 3x a day. Next, they purchased a Toshiba RS-TX60 Digital Media Server (DMS). This is a Tivo DVR unit with a built-in DVD-R drive. Therefore programs recorded to the hard drive can be burned back to DVD if necessary. Here lies my issue with this: I have to manually record from a video input source and a manual recording session only supports up to 6 hours of recording time. (Or at least the program won't let me choose a time over 6 hours). I also called Tivo support and they told me that they do not provide support for connecting external cameras/vcrs to this unit.

I'm really looking for some kind of unit that can digitally record up to 24 hours of video, and when the time comes, re-record over and over again until it's told to stop. This unit should also have the capability to burn the recorded footage to DVD (or at least some portion of the footage.) Does such a unit exist? Does anyone know of any makes/models/etc. that can do such a thing? How about cost and installation complications?

I'm pretty familiar with DV and analog video formats and recording. Any help/advice/pointers are greatly appreciated and I hope my post sorta makes sense.
Doug DeFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #2
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug DeFrank
Please bear with me as this may be a long post. I searched first, but didn't find anything related.

Here's my situation: My volunteer fire dept. had a security system installed some time ago. It's basically a 2-camera setup (which flips between cameras every 5 seconds or so) connected to a time-lapse VCR. The tape would record 24 hours worth, rewind the tape, and then re-record). Just recently, the time-lapse video recorder (VHS format) went. They want to replace the time-lapse VCR with some sort of DVR that can also burn a portion of footage to DVD if necessary.

At first, they purchased a DVD-Recorder, which could only record up to 6 or 8 hours of video at a time. This didn't suit our situation because someone would have to change DVDs 3x a day. Next, they purchased a Toshiba RS-TX60 Digital Media Server (DMS). This is a Tivo DVR unit with a built-in DVD-R drive. Therefore programs recorded to the hard drive can be burned back to DVD if necessary. Here lies my issue with this: I have to manually record from a video input source and a manual recording session only supports up to 6 hours of recording time. (Or at least the program won't let me choose a time over 6 hours). I also called Tivo support and they told me that they do not provide support for connecting external cameras/vcrs to this unit.

I'm really looking for some kind of unit that can digitally record up to 24 hours of video, and when the time comes, re-record over and over again until it's told to stop. This unit should also have the capability to burn the recorded footage to DVD (or at least some portion of the footage.) Does such a unit exist? Does anyone know of any makes/models/etc. that can do such a thing? How about cost and installation complications?

I'm pretty familiar with DV and analog video formats and recording. Any help/advice/pointers are greatly appreciated and I hope my post sorta makes sense.
I could be wrong, but I believe some of the wireless IP cams have software running on a host computer that can do image capture over a long period of time. Since you already have cameras, this may not be an option unless you can retrofit them with IP adapters. If so, they then become a device on your local network and can be controlled via internet browser applications.

Here's an example: http://www.axis.com/axien/ip_security_camera.htm

Hopefully, this can get you looking in the right direction for what you need.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #3
New Boot
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Uniontown, PA
Posts: 7
Well, these cameras have already been installed and cables have been buried and laid outside. Because we're a non-profit, we're try to be as cheap as possible. So far, most equipment has been in the $300-$400 range. If I have to go out of that range, so be it.
Doug DeFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #4
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug DeFrank
Well, these cameras have already been installed and cables have been buried and laid outside. Because we're a non-profit, we're try to be as cheap as possible. So far, most equipment has been in the $300-$400 range. If I have to go out of that range, so be it.
Doug,

I just went back to that site. They have converters that will accept analog video and digitize for IP transmission. They also sell 'Cam Station' software with optional image enhancer that can record unlimited or on a schedule.

I have no affiliation, this is just the first site I pulled up on a Google search for ip security cameras. There are others, I just didn't look at them.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #5
New Boot
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Uniontown, PA
Posts: 7
So, I'd need those converters and a PC the captures the IP video with the proper software installed? By the way, because we're talking IP-stuff, our department does not have any type of Internet connection. Dial up is <28.8Kbps and high speed isn't available.

Actually, now that I think about it. That PC system probably won't work. Most of the members down there don't even know how to turn a PC on. They're lucky they know how to play/stop/eject VHS tape!! Yes, I'm the one with the most techie-know-how around this dept.
Doug DeFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #6
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug DeFrank
So, I'd need those converters and a PC the captures the IP video with the proper software installed? By the way, because we're talking IP-stuff, our department does not have any type of Internet connection. Dial up is <28.8Kbps and high speed isn't available.

Actually, now that I think about it. That PC system probably won't work. Most of the members down there don't even know how to turn a PC on. They're lucky they know how to play/stop/eject VHS tape!! Yes, I'm the one with the most techie-know-how around this dept.
This would be a Local Area Network, referred to as a LAN. No internet connection needed. It's the type of thing I use here at home to interconnect three computers and a shared printer. BTW, I was a volunteer fireman many moons ago. I feel your pain in terms of funding.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 848
If the cameras are static there is software that can detect movement and record only when movement has been detected. This could significantly reduce the data storage cost. I would be looking for capability to write the surveillance data to a hard drive, have a process to monitor the storage folder(s) for size, archive the storage folders to DVD when full, signal an administrator by email or pager when the DVD needs to be changed. None of this is very challenging technically and some of the wired and wireless web cams come with the motion based storage software. If the motion based surveillance does not meet your requirements I would still be looking at a hard drive storage and archive scenario. 1 TB of storage is now under $1k.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network