I finally put together a complete DV setup (let me know what u think) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 26th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I finally put together a complete DV setup (let me know what u think)

I have been working a while to put together a complete dv video-making system for shorts and maybe a few features and I think I'm just about done. What I'm doing here is to get some input from other fellow DV users to try and see if there are any improvements that I could make in order to have the most "well rounded" setup. So here it goes.

Canon XL1s with all the stock accessories (a few aftermarket hi-cap batteries, home made foam padded case)

Quyen's Letus35 xl flip 35mm adapter, canon 50mm 1.4 lens, and a Nikon 17-80mm 4.0 zoom for outdoors only :(

An XL-to-Arri standard mount adaptor with an angenieux 12-120mm arri 16mm lens

BOGEN 3066 tripod with dolly (I'm working on a track right now)

Colortran 1000watt 3200k switchable flood/spot light w/ stand

(3) Smith Victor Q60-SG Lights w/ Barn doors & stands 600watt ea.

Tascam DA-p1 DAT recorder

(2) Sennheiser MKH-416t mics with RYCOTE wind shields, deneke t-power power supplies, shock mounts, and 2 painters-pole boom poles

A nice recording studio (my closet covered with foam)

Some cheapo Sony monitoring headphones

Adobe 6.0 suite

Editing computer (hp dual XEON 3.2 GHz, 2 GB memory, 3 monitors)

and a bunch of accessories, uv & polarizing filters, media, cases, cleaning supplies, etc..

Thanks have a great day!!!
David Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Looks like you have a pretty decent setup. One thing I would change though is the camera-If you can spare the extra bills. I would sell the XL1 and get a DVX or XL2, especially if you're going to be doing short and feature films. The picture will be far more cinematic w/ 24fps.

Good luck and have fun.

Tim.
Tim Hyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #3
Wrangler

Sounds like all you are missing is a script! :)
Old May 29th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The script (or should I say scripts) have been in the works for a long time now. I've got 3 ready-to-shoot ideas and the 1st one begins next weekend. It's taken me about a year to put all this together so I'm really excited to start getting some semi-professional results. I used to have a camera that recorder strait to VHS tapes :)
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Major Player

get an XL2 or DVX and loose the DAT. 24p means more then you think.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

really? I put some thought into the whole "film look" craze and knowing how much actual film somehow magically chages the entire look and feel of a movie, I decided to make some attempt at changing the look of my video. as you can see, I decided that I had more creative control and that going for shallow DOF was more important. (dont have money for both) But there was a small motive behind doing this. when I do save up enough, I will buy an XL2 and all of my addapters and lenses will work with it. I see this happening within a few years. I'll be behind the times a bit but I'll also save huge. then who knows, I might just get an XL-H1.

So no-go on the DAT... a?
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, I am not too familiar with the XL1s' audio system, but the DVX's and the XL2's are perfectly fine for 99% of anything you will do, I assume. Aside from that, you will have to sync everything up in post with a DAT.

Maybe spend the money from that on some real boom poles and spend some time learning proper boom technique, as these will help more then a DAT would for getting good sound.

Looking at your list again, I can't help but see that there are a lot of "toys" and some other areas are left needing more. Lighting wise, I would strongly recommend a softbox of some kind and something like a couple 200-300W Fresnels. Have you considered gels? No doubt you will need them.

Do you have a way to monitor your video in the field? Having worked with a professional monitor (9" Sony/JVC) on set, it makes a huge difference. Plus you can take it into post and CC on it. Do you really need 3 monitors for you computer? Do you really need a computer that powerful (if compositing, etc then yes)?

Do you really need the Letus Flip? Could you do a better job with better lighting equipment then spending the $700ish on the Letus? I would say (if you get it) get something wider for inside, that 50mm will kill you in some circumstances and that zoom isn't fast enough. Once again, I strongly recommend 24p in the camera. 24p in post just isn't the same. Maybe upgrade those "cheep" Sony headphones. Maybe save $60 and get a couple of books.

Look, at the end of the day it is your money and workflow. I am sure you will have fun creating anything with what you have, but maybe take a step back for a second and look at what you will be doing with this stuff a year down the road. Will it all be as dandy as it is now? Will you wish you had/didn't have stuff you bought?

Good luck in either case!
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media